Rusty / Oxidized Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonPenney1981

Reaction score
I made the mistake of leaving my work chiller in a bucket of sanitized water for a week after brew day. The portion of the wort chiller that was in the water turned a greenish-blueish hue that is similar to an oxidized penny. I'm thinking of using some steel wool to scrub it off, but worried I could ruin the coils, etc.

Any thoughts or advice on how to remove?

A mild acidic solution should turn it shiny again.

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Copper

MC

That's what I was going to suggest, but I found it strange that the OP said this happened after a week of soaking in sanitizer. If it was starsan, then he already was soaking in a slightly acidic solution.

FWIW I clean mine about every 10-15 brews by soaking in either vinegar or starsan solution.. I also do a little scrubbing with a scrubby..

I would guess you used an oxidizer of some sort, One Step or the like. Try using an acid like Star San (or white vinegar) and it might clean off the oxidation. If not, Tarx-X is usually used to clean silverware but can also remove oxidation from copper.

It was sitting in water that was treated with Star-san, but had been sitting in the garage for a little over a week. I'll try one of the vinegar solutions from the link provided to avoid scrubbing it with steel wool and let you know what happens. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back