Running co2 lines through fridge...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaddyb

Reaction score
I got a kegging setup for xmas, and I'm setting up my kegerator, but I want to keep my co2 tank outside the fridge. I would rather not just drill a hole, and jam the lines through, I'm wondering if there is some kind of bulkhead fitting people use, or what people do?

Same exact issue. Got the set up as a gift. I'd rather have another corny in the fridge than a 20lb tank. Is it common to put a hole in the side of a fridge and run the hose through it? I have pretty thick red gas hose that came with the set, ok to just run that through a clean cut hole?

I was going to run a pipe through the fridge and connect hose on both ends, but this gives me 2 more hose connections and more places for possible leaks in the future.....

what about running a small peice of pvc through, small enough in diameter so the line goes through real snug. if theres any gaps between the hole and pvc you could always spray some expanding foam in there. install some plastic or stainless flanges on the outsides for a clean look

How about something like is done for converting a cooler to an MLT, but with a barbed fitting on both sides? Should be easy to make leak-proof.

5346k25l.gif

But, I just jammed mine through a drilled hole. :eek:

I had an old (old) fridge in the garage before my bar setup in the basement but there was a straight shot opening from underneath the fridge to the plastic plate right in front when you open the door. I drilled a hole to fit a piece of oversize tubing and then ran my CO2 line snug through it.

Point is, try to find a place with little obstruction but almost direct access into the box itself. You might have to unplug the fridge and flip on its side to access but well worth not drilling through anything of importance.

Drill, line with ID tubing that matches the OD tubing of your gas, and go!

Hope this helps!!!

EDIT: I just went out into the garage and "felt up" the new fridge (side by side)...seems like there is the same situation...lots of voids with almost direct access to the box itself at the front. I'd pull off the plastic plate, pull up the insulation, and drill through to the outside world!

I suppose a bulkhead fitting with the barb ends would work, I know I can just stick the line through a drilled hole, or use a piece of pvc, I just like the way bulkhead fittings look. I use them when I build lowriders, to run hydraulic hose through the trunk floor, and they look very neat and clean. I get very pick about lines/hoses/wires being very neat and tidy and in their place.

Heres the kind I usually use for my hydraulic lines in cars...

-6%20Bulkhead%20Fitting.JPG

I suppose something like this might work with the nipple on each side.

0117-bulkhead-fitting.jpg

I was planning on drilling through the side, not the back, Im pretty sure there isnt anything of any importance, although I suppose i will tear stuff apart first just to make sure.

I asked this question not too long ago but got very little in the way of replies. I just drilled a hole and pulled the line through. One end to the distributer in the fridge and one to the regulator. Put a little silicone around where the hose meets the fridge, but I don't really think it was necessary. Very tight fit.

Sweet this is exactly what Im looking for, maybe not quite as long since it only has to go through a wall, I see they have some shorter ones too. :ban:

I used them on my fridge. Checkout my kegerator thread for some pictures.

I went to Lowe's and picked up a 3" Brass Nipple and a couple of 1/4" barbed fittings for each end. Simple as can be!

I did this in my kegerator. The nipple length will depend on the thickness of your fridge.
You could also replace the outside barb with a quick disconnect.

kegplumbing3.jpg

This is exactly what I was looking for,all parts available at any hardware store.
Thanks.

Back