Ruined? Oxycleaned my Aluminum kettle. Photos.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
The Aluminum FAQ non-specifically talks about how the use of Oxyclean is a no-no when applied to aluminum ware and especially for deep soaks due to the oxidation properties of oxyclean on aluminum.

Not knowing this two years ago when I packed up my gear into the U-Haul, I gave all of my equipment a deep soak in oxyclean for about 24 hours in my aluminum kettle so that they would fair well in storage.

And then I found and read the Aluminum FAQ ... :pipe:

Fortunately, the first thing I did after I purchased the kettle was to condition it *boil water apx 30 min* so I hope that this might have minimized any problems with oxidation.

Take a look at these photos of the kettle. It looks fine to me. The conditioning looks about the same as it always has. All I'll have to do here is give it a good wash to remove storage crap and she'll be good to go... right?

thank you,
C

2014-09-02 12.19.44.jpg

2014-09-02 12.19.52.jpg

2014-09-02 12.19.55.jpg

If its pitted, sand it down til its flat, and boil water in it for 30. If its smooth, just boil water in it for 30 again. Its a hunk of metal, it will be fine.

Plus one, it's not ruined unless it's leaking. Scrub it well with a scouring pad, wet/dry sandpaper works well for refinishing as well. The black heavy oxidation from the oxi clean while not pretty/ won't harm your brew.

Clean it, refinish if you can and want to, and use it.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Scrub it well, if you remove the oxidation layer, just do another boil to re-establish the layer.

No need to go S.S. unless you want to use it as an excuse to upgrade.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I have a bunch of hardware and sanding paper around the house. I even have one of those hand held grinder tools that has sanding attachments. what grit sandpaper would you use for this application? I've never sanded any metal... or would steel wool be best? Circular motion, up-down?

Thanks

img172.jpg

hire-electric-die-grinder_220040_electricdiegrinder_1_6.jpg

Thanks for all your help everyone.

I have a bunch of hardware and sanding paper around the house. I even have one of those hand held grinder tools that has sanding attachments. what grit sandpaper would you use for this application? I've never sanded any metal... or would steel wool be best? Circular motion, up-down?

Thanks

Just wash it, no need for any sanding. It'll be fine.

Just wash it, no need for any sanding. It'll be fine.

Yes agree with above. I mentioned sanding if there are rough pitted areas a light sanding will make the pot smoother and easier to clean.

I was thinking 3-5 minutes of light hand sanding, not using power tools omg.

Cheers!

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Back