Rubber gasket blew off!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chompburger

Reaction score
This is my first post here so i dunno if this is problem has been posted before but....
i just made my second batch in a one gallon glass jug and a day after i finished, the rubber gasket with my 3 piece airlock shot right off and beer overflowed everywhere. this is the second time its happened in my 2 batches. HOW THE HELL DO I STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING???

kthanks

well I immagine you dont have much head space for a krausen to form in a 1 gallon jug. I would either use a blow off tube rather than an air lock or get a bigger fermenter.

This has been posted approximately 1 billion times - if you search for "blowoff tube" you'll find plenty of good examples of how to avoid this.

Long story short, those airlocks are worthless during the first week of fermentation - you should use a blowoff tube. Beginner beer kits really need to start providing a little blowoff setup with the airlock.

Get a bigger fermenter. Maybe a 2 gallon jug or bucket for your gallon batch...

If you have enough head space you'd be fine with an airlock. I ferment 5 gallons of beer in a 6.5 gallon bucket. With that extra space I am fine with the airlock. If I was fermenting 5 gallons of beer in my 5 gallon carboy, I would use a blow off tube.

It's just part of the process,especially when yo use starters or re-hydrate the yeast. But pitching at the cool end of the yeasts' temp range will slow it down a bit. Until,of course,the temp get's up around 68 or more.

Back