Rothbury Brown Ale + Rothbury ESB (two all-grain recipes)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
Rothbury is the music festival of all music festivals. A four day extravaganza taking place over the fourth of July weekend.

A friend suggested I brew a few cases to bring with us; it didn't take much nudging for me to pick up the torch. Indeed, I felt the occasion warranted some fresh recipes.

The goal is to make these two sessionable and refreshing (think 4th of July), and ideally not offensive to the average palate. I still have a little time to tweak if necessary, but can only really change the amount of Maris Otter and/or hops. The special grains are pretty much set in stone, as they were bagged together by the LHBS.

The below figures are, of course, theoretical, and based upon a ~75% mash efficiency (a conservative average). Both recipes are all grain, and factor in 4oz of 43ppg DME for the starter. Let me know what you think.

Rothbury Brown Ale

Style: American Brown
Size: 5.25 gallons
Mash Temp: 154*F
Color: 19 SRM
Bitterness: ~30 IBU
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.013
ABV: 4.7%

7lb Maris Otter
12 oz Crystal 40L
12 oz Crystal 60L
8 oz CaraPils
4 oz Chocolate

.5 oz Palisade 7.5% AA (60 min)
.5 oz Cascade 5.5% AA (60 min)
.5 oz Palisade (10 min)
.5 oz Cascade (10 min)

Yeast: Wyeast 1272 American Ale II -- 72-76% attenuation

Wyeast said:
With many of the best qualities that brewers look for when brewing American styles of beer, this strain’s performance is consistent and it makes great beer. Fruitier and more flocculent than Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast, slightly nutty, soft, clean with a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with intense fruitiness, or ferment cool for clean, light citrus character. Expect good attenuation, but this will vary with grist makeup, mashing protocol, or other wort characteristics. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Rothbury ESB

Style: English Ex. Special Bitter
Size: 5.25 gallons
Mash Temp: 154*F
Color: 12 SRM
Bitterness: ~35 IBU
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.1%

7lb 4oz Maris Otter
1 lb Crystal 60L
8 oz Victory
8 oz Golden Naked Oats
8 oz CaraPils
4 oz Special Roast

1 oz Palisade 7.5% AA (60 min)
.5 oz Willamette 6.4% AA (30 min)
.5 oz Willamette (5 min)
.5 oz Palisade (flameout)

Yeast: White Labs WLP022 Essex Ale Yeast (Platinum) -- 71-76% attenuation

White Labs said:
Flavorful British style yeast. Drier finish than many British ale yeasts. Produces a slightly fruity and bready character. Good top fermenting yeast strain, excellent candidate for top cropping (collecting). This yeast is well suited for classic British milds, pale ales, bitters, and stouts. Does not flocculate as much as WLP002 and WLP005.

Both look like excellent beers to me! I can only think of one thing I'd tweak on each: the flavor/aroma additions.

In the Brown Ale, I'd put all the flavor/aroma hops in at 10. I like some hops flavor in my browns, but aroma, not so much.

In the ESB, I'd put all the f/a hops in at flameout. I like more hops nose in my ESB.

That's about it, really. Good luck!

Bob

I haven't yet brewed either of these styles, so the input is very much appreciated. :mug:

Regarding the brown, I moved f/a to ten. In hindsight the aroma should probably take a backseat with this one. I've also brought Palisade into the mix (as opposed to the all-Cascade schedule from before). It tends to be a solid all-arounder, plus I have a nice little stockpile of it that I'd like to burn through.

Regarding the ESB, I switched things around quite a bit with the hopping. I now have a Palisade addition at flameout, due to that strain's pleasant, floral qualities. I've kept a fairly restrained flavor addition at five, as I do like to get some hop flavor coming through in brews such as this.

Thanks again. Any other feedback gladly welcomed.

Also, one quick question: I intend to brew these up very soon (indeed, I have the American Ale II on the stir plate right now). This basically means that both beers will get a ~3 week primary, and then about 3 months in bottles.

I'd think these two would be coming into their prime at about 3 months, but I've never brewed the styles, nor ABVs this low. Any thoughts regarding longevity?

I'd think these two would be coming into their prime at about 3 months, but I've never brewed the styles, nor ABVs this low. Any thoughts regarding longevity?

I think you'll be just fine. Should be quite tasty by July!

Concur.

Though I'm tempted to write, "Nope. They're going to suck **** through tubes. But to emphasize the learning experience, brew, bottle, condition, and ship to me for disposal."

:D

Bob

Good luck saving all that beer until then! :D
Come to think of it, I might be going up there this year as well and I might have to bring a few kegs myself. I know someone that has lakefront property about 15 minutes away.

Do it up man, most especially if you have that trailer in your avatar. I know a guy that went the first year and said it was THE show of all shows, and he's been hitting the concert scene pretty hard for at least ten years. Will be -- at the very least -- as good as Bonnaroo '02 and '03 (before it got lamed out with police squads and MTV).

An added bonus is the All Good festival (reputed to be excellent in its own right), which is taking place the following weekend in West Virgina -- all things considered not a huge hike from Rothbury, and worth the trip if the trip can be made (in my case, scheduling conflicts have killed that one :mad:)

Regarding the brew, I have literally six cases of assorted goodness conditioning in the closet, and each of the above recipes should yield an extra case for the home stock-pile. That, and I have two beers right behind these in the brewing pipeline.

So should be more than enough beer to keep me away from the Rothbury stash...at least, that's what I'm telling myself. (I wish there was an emoticon for denial, ;))

But enough chit chat...I gotta get myself prepared for a Brown Ale brew day!! A first step in the odyssey that will become......Rothbury 2009.

Just realized the LHBS gave me an extra 4 ounces of 60L for the brown. I'm gonna roll with it. Recipe adjusted accordingly.

Back