Root rot??? Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbaddad

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a number of two year hop plants that were way overwatered. The irrigation system got switched to 10 minutes every two days for about a month. Didn't notice it at first since the hops were starting to send up bines etc...

I lost my two cascades and a number of my others have been stunted. Do I need to dig up and remove the rotted portions of the roots or will the plant cure itself by drying out? Or are these done? Any advice?

Thanks in advance

10 minutes every two days? Unless the rate was set to "Biblical Flooding" it's hard to believe that you could have inflicted so much damage.

I wouldn't torture the plants further by subjecting them to surgery. Ride it out...

Cheers!

10 minutes every two days? Unless the rate was set to "Biblical Flooding" it's hard to believe that you could have inflicted so much damage.

I wouldn't torture the plants further by subjecting them to surgery. Ride it out...

Cheers!

Thanks for the laugh! That was a great description.

Have you checked for actual root rot? Usually too much water for me means too little nutrients. I'll fertilize and then drop the water back until I reach a nice medium.

Good luck and hope for the best!

Yeah, I did have to pull two cascades that were rotted totally out. Black smushy, dead roots. Upon further examination, there was a leak in my irrigation system. That was the problem. So, in a way there was some "biblical flooding". On my other plants further down from the leak, there is less rot. However, there are some black smushy pieces on some roots. Should those be cut out? Of course, it rained for like the second time this year in San Diego yesterday. I am probably just going to ease back on water and hope they heal themselves. If you think otherwise, let me know. Thanks.

Back