Root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way too much to just post on exactly what it is and how its made but there is a GREAT book you can get from that online bookstore on how to make root beer.

and then there is this

Root beer - Wikipedia
+ loads of stuff here on HBT as well. Good luck in the hunt for the perfect rootbeer. My SWMBO and kids did an awesome root beer blind tasting last year. 8 root beers and 1 clear winner.

Cheers
Jay

Short answer, it is a soft drink, no alcohol. I believe it started in the USA during prohibition just to have something interesting to drink. Or maybe it just got popular to make at home, it was a good excuse to have bottles, bottle caps, and a capper arouond the house.

it was made with, water, sugar and flavorings, then carbonated. I think Sassafras root was a primary flavoring at first, but that was found to be bad for you. These days the flavorings vary, but common ones are a combination of wintergreen, vanilla, anise, molasses and other various spices. Often home brewers will just buy a bottle of root beer extract (several brands are available) and add to sugar water, then carbonate.

Similar to this is Sarsparilla, or birch beer. also non alcoholic. I prefer the birch beer.

These days there are also some hard root beers on the market, which vary from a plain commercial beer with a light root beer taste, to a heavy bodied full flavored drink, ABV varies from 5 to 15%

I used to serve root beer at a 19th century living history museum. More than once a European nearly spit it out saying it tasted like medicine. Apparently it's a common flavoring for cough syrup and the like.

Short answer, it is a soft drink, no alcohol. I believe it started in the USA during prohibition just to have something interesting to drink. Or maybe it just got popular to make at home, it was a good excuse to have bottles, bottle caps, and a capper arouond the house.

it was made with, water, sugar and flavorings, then carbonated. I think Sassafras root was a primary flavoring at first, but that was found to be bad for you. These days the flavorings vary, but common ones are a combination of wintergreen, vanilla, anise, molasses and other various spices. Often home brewers will just buy a bottle of root beer extract (several brands are available) and add to sugar water, then carbonate.

Similar to this is Sarsparilla, or birch beer. also non alcoholic. I prefer the birch beer.

These days there are also some hard root beers on the market, which vary from a plain commercial beer with a light root beer taste, to a heavy bodied full flavored drink, ABV varies from 5 to 15%

So... If you put yeast in that mixture...it can be an alcoholic drink. But it is not beer.

Nothing really to do with home brewing.

In terms of general brewing, at least what we are used to call brewing (beer, mead, cider, wine), it's not that...but I think it can be something fun to try and do.

Like I said here, it is not beer, since it lacks the essential ingredients.
Yesterday I saw a video of a guy trying to brew bean beer...and a guy from northern brewing said it had to have malt extract...
Not sure about all of these.

I've been home brewing beer for a couple years now. So today I picked up a Root Beer Extract. It says to add surgar, water, extract, & yeast.

Questions:
I'm confused; Wont the yeast convert the sugar into alcohol? Can't I just skip the yeast and force carbonate with co2 in a keg?

I've been home brewing beer for a couple years now. So today I picked up a Root Beer Extract. It says to add surgar, water, extract, & yeast.

Questions:
I'm confused; Wont the yeast convert the sugar into alcohol? Can't I just skip the yeast and force carbonate with co2 in a keg?
There will be a small amount of alcohol. Yes, you could just keg and force carbonate.

I've sourced both Sarsaparilla and sassafras root. I love real rootbeer, but my family complained that it tastes like bark. I was sad.

Questions:
Yes, a minute amount of alcohol, and I do carbonate in a keg. But if you are trying to carbonate with yeast, you have to carefully select your yeast for a type that will go dormant at refrigeration, then refrigerate when it is carbonated. Otherwise you can brew bombs.

Oh, and I did read later that it predates prohibition by several decades. Just never caught on elsewhere I guess.

Back