Root Beer - help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u81doughboy

Reaction score
I recently made root beer from the recipe in this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=297882

Everything seemed to turn out well except for the initial flavor. The aroma is spot on, even the end taste good. The front end doesn't taste too good, like highly diluted root beer (almost water like). Is there any way I can fix this, or do I need to dump the batch and start all over?

thanks.

If you need mouthfeel you may be able to achieve it with the addition of some Lactose (milk sugar). It is not fermentable so we use it to add sweetness and body to beers. I think I recall seeing it included in some rootbeer recipes a while back too.....ideally it would be boiled of course, but you might pour a glass and add a table spoon and see what you think.

I wish it were just mouthfeel. It's really just the upfront flavor.

I think it's time to lick my wounds, dump the keg and start over.

DUDE!! Never dump. Never dump. Mix, add, dilute, swirl, spice, compound....anything but the dump!!

:)

Suggestions? Maybe add more extract? I'm not sure how else you can take something that tastes like soda water and turn it into root beer. The color, the mouth feel, even the end palate are okay--it's just the initial that sucks.

Maybe add more extract?
What brand extract are you using? I have never found those dainty overpriced bottles giving acceptable flavor, altho only tried a few brands. I almost wonder whether those who report satisfaction with these extracts have normal taste discrimination, or are too easily satisfied with mediocre. I have good success with syrups, but would rather find a workable extract to build on.

A bunch of us here got an econo 12 pack of zatarains r.b. extract, and I don't think anyone found it good altho some used polite euphemisms and understatement. I forced down many bottles before chucking the box. mrfoodscientist speculated that I didn't like peppermint or some such overtones, but I was not overreacting to some question of balance, but it was ghastly, revolting, and probably spoiled (caps seemed loose).

I looked at that recipe, the one shown there is rather thin for a normal 'sweet' soda Root Beer. My suggestion is to backsweeten with Sugar. I like mine with turbinado sugar, though you'd need to boil it to actually dissolve the sugar.

(The last poster on page 1 suggests 2lbs of dark brown sugar, for example)

I don't recall the brand of extract, but I know it wasn't McCormick or Zatarains. I really want to find a good, true home-made recipe to use. I kind of promised the wife/kids that if I built a tap system I would ensure one tap for home-brewed soda. All taps are in, it's time to make good.

I did add in 1/2 lb of light brown sugar, as well as 1/2 lb of white table sugar. I wonder what would happen if I add another 1/2 of brown?

Back