Room Temp Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulldog21

Reaction score
Hi Forum...

I would like to start a new beer for summer. I don't have a way to control temp easily so I'd like to get suggestions on a MidWest recipe that I can ferment with room temps between 67-71 degrees.

I prefer a mid-weight non-hoppy beer.

Thanks.

An american amber ale, or just a good solid English nut brown ale would be good choices. Safale S04, a good solid English ale yeast, should be able to handle those temperatures with no issues. Nottingham ale yeast will also do fine.

During active fermentation the wort temp can be many degrees higher than ambient. So if you're aiming to ferment at 67-71 then you will need ambient temps in the low 60's, or some way to cool it like putting it in a tub of water with some ice in the water. This is what I do and it works relatively well.

During active fermentation the wort temp can be many degrees higher than ambient. So if you're aiming to ferment at 67-71 then you will need ambient temps in the low 60's, or some way to cool it like putting it in a tub of water with some ice in the water. This is what I do and it works relatively well.

This.

Every time ive been to goodwill/salvation army there are rubbermaid's big enough to fit a fermenter for like 2-3 dollars...if you dont have one already that is

Just fill it with water thats @ like 60F and throw your fermenter in..when the water starts to get above 66-67 throw some ice in ...

After the first 48-72 hours of fermentation the important temp sensitive bit is over and you can let it go to room temp, this will actually help the yeast finish up whatever sugars may be left.

I'd agree with all this - you'll just need to keep it that little bit cooler for the first few days.

I use a builders tub - see image cause I'm not sure if you call them this in the US - as a water bath and these can be got for next to nothing. The cooler is probably better at holding temps but I've never had a problem with this when you only need a few degrees less than room temp.

FAIFLEX42B.jpg

Get one of those stick on thermometers onto the side of your fermenter and you're good to go, wallet intacted!

I would avoid using Nottingham at the rom temps you are talking about. It can get rather funky at beer temps (not ambient air) above 68*F. If you can keep it cooled into the lower 60's, that strain would be fine. Otherwise, US-05 would be the better choice.

Try to get your wort chilled into the 60-62*F range before pitching yeast. That will help with the temp management and give a cleaner flavor.

Latest posts

Back