Rookie temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

82cabby

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I am just starting my first batch and have a VERY rookie temperature question. I am using the True Brew Amber Ale kit. I got it into the fermenter last night and it is bubbleing away happily this afternoon. The initial S.G. is 1.042.

My question is this: I have it located in my basement which is very stable temperature wise. The stick on thermometer is reading 57-58 degrees. I have a couple other locations in the house where I could locate the fermenter. The other spots would be warmer, but not as steady. The first floor would mean air temperatures between 60 and 72, the second floor would be between 60 and 74. I am worried that the basement is too cool, but that the other locations are not consistant enough.

Should I move the fermenter? Any advice would be appreciated!

Ale yeasts do best in 60-75 degree F environments. I would consider moving it to the second floor if that is possible.

That does sound a bit cool for an ale. What yeast are you using?
Mid-sixties are more normal for most ale yeasts. That 60-72 location sounds OK.
The temperature fluctuations won't affect the fermenting wort as quickly since it has a larger thermal mass than free air. Try to put it in a closet or somewhere that A) is in the middle of that 60-72 range and B) doesn't fluctuate as much.

Welcome to HBT!

IMO, your basement's temperature for fermentation is quite cool. Like high temps, low temps stress the yeast out which can cause unwanted off-flavours.

I would put the fermentor in a warmer room, but what you could do is put it into a bucket of room temperature water. The water temperature will stay much more stable than the fluctuating air temperature. Another option would be to warm up the basement somehow, but this would be costly (electricity-wise) and could be problematic, as you might warm things up too much.

My two bits. There will certainly be more ideas from other HBTers.

Good luck.

Maybe somewhere in the basement where warm air collects? Like at the top of a stairway behind a door...

Thanks all for the quick replys!

I will move it to a spot that is warmer and as stable as possible. We partially heat with wood, so the temperatures can fluctuate quite a bit depending on if we are home. I'll report back in a day or two and let you all know what the new temperature is.

Thanks again!

is it on the floor? I know my basement floor is freezing cold, and would chill the beer. Is 57-58 the temp from your bucket sticker or a thermometer (air temp)?

You can always place a blanket or two or better yet temp adjustable electric blanker on the fermenter. Warming the air around the fermenter to 65 and keeping it there will go a long way.

My vote is to put it on the first floor inside a giant rubbermaid (or other vessel) filled with water. The water will stabilize the temperature of the fermentation to the "average" temperature of the room.

I moved it to the second floor in a corner that is away from the middle of the house (which is the source of the heat and so has the widest fluctuations). It has risen to 64 degrees as measured by the stick on thermometer. It seems much happier and is bubbleing away. I will keep an eye on the temperature and see if it changes much over the course of the next couple days.

Thanks for all the help!

I am doing the same kit right now and I too am a rookie .. mine went in the fermenter on xmas night and was placed in my basement where the sticker on the bucket is now reads 64* ... it was bubbling away yesterday and the day b4 but it has almost stopped now ... I WANT TO TRY IT SO BAD !!! ... the air that comes out of the airlock smells like a hoppy treat that needs to be consumed ... in the words of tom petty "the waiting is the hardest part" I guess ..haha .. it's so hard knowing it's gonna be a month b4 I get some of it ... ARGH !!! ... anyway, here's to new brewers and all our worries about our first beer ... cheers !!! (64* is good for an ale .. right????)

I used to always put my fermenters in a water bath (before I got a dedicated fridge) to try and avoid fluctuations. The added thermal mass really smooths it out. Small fluctuations (2-4 degrees) are not particularly harmful, but they do make it difficult to predict the flavor outcome. Fermentation temperature is a big part of the final flavor profile. Going to the hardware store and picking up a big plastic storage container, filling it with water, and dropping your fermenter in it can do wonders. Plus, it makes it really easy to monitor the temperature much more closely by putting a thermometer in the tub.

More important I think is to remember that fermentation creates heat. If you are measuring ambient air temps, then your fermentation is probably 5+ degrees warmer. The acceptable range of yeasts is given for the fermentation temp, not the ambient air temp. I would personally never ferment where the ambient temperature was within 5 degrees of the upper recommended range.

I used to always put my fermenters in a water bath (before I got a dedicated fridge) to try and avoid fluctuations. The added thermal mass really smooths it out. Small fluctuations (2-4 degrees) are not particularly harmful, but they do make it difficult to predict the flavor outcome. Fermentation temperature is a big part of the final flavor profile. Going to the hardware store and picking up a big plastic storage container, filling it with water, and dropping your fermenter in it can do wonders. Plus, it makes it really easy to monitor the temperature much more closely by putting a thermometer in the tub.

More important I think is to remember that fermentation creates heat. If you are measuring ambient air temps, then your fermentation is probably 5+ degrees warmer. The acceptable range of yeasts is given for the fermentation temp, not the ambient air temp. I would personally never ferment where the ambient temperature was within 5 degrees of the upper recommended range.

Thank you very much for the info. I know my air temperature fluctuates by more than 2-4 degrees, but I am not sure about the wort. I am off this week, so I have been able to keep the house temp steadier than normal and according to the stick on thermometer, it has been a pretty steady 64 degrees since I moved it. Next batch though, I am definately going with the water bath.

If its 60* in the basement the fermentation temp will be mid 60's whcih is good. I use s-04 and 05 at a room temp of 59-60 with great results. I prefer the cool end because beer tends to end up much better for me that way. If I had a choice between low 60's or low 70's I would take the low 60's anyday. You can always move it upstairs if you feel the yeasties are too slow....

So, I just thought I would follow-up. The batch spent two weeks in the primary and has been in the bottles for one week. I sampled it this weekend and it tastes pretty good! A little bitter on the finish for me, but very clear and very drinkable.

I can't wait to see what another couple weeks in the bottles does for it.

Thanks all for the help!

mine is about the same ... i like the bitterness, but it finishes a little more dry than i like beer to do ... all in all tho it's pretty dang good and I'm drinking all of it ... not sharing at all ...haha ... cheers man !!!

Back