Roofer took over my side yard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has gone from one individual's recent experience to now so much generalization. Obviously, hot buttons have been pushed, bad choice of words used, unnecessary flame throwing remarks used and perhaps taken personally, and maybe best posting intentions were misinterpreted.

I really do not understand the purpose of keeping this thread open since it has gone off topic and at this point is no longer informative.

For the record, I have had great experiences with various trades. Once in all the years I have used contractors did an inspector find something that needed correcting.

Why hasn't this been moved to the debate forum labeled " Contractor bashing thread" its what its turned into
I don't see any reason to move it to the debate forum. I can't see anyone debating on whether crappy contractors suck or not.

Btw, I work for a tile contractor.

When an administrator actually likes a post about not using a members personal business they know nothing about....believe me....they'll let the thread ride to continue what they believe in. Been there...done that

I don't see any reason to move it to the debate forum. I can't see anyone debating on whether crappy contractors suck or not.

Btw, I work for a tile contractor.
So as a contractor you dont take issue with someone saying on average most contractors dont care enough to do everything right? As a good contractor with endless good contractor friends that support their family by doing the right thing I take issue with that.....thats not debatable?

As a contractor, I know maybe better than anyone how many crappy contractors there are out there. We go out to sites where you could surf on the slab. We get cabinets that aren't close to level. We get walls that bow out at every stud. Owner's ought to be aware that there are a lot of bad players out there and if they hire someone with a new license (or no license) they are rolling the dice.

As a contractor, I know maybe better than anyone how many crappy contractors there are out there. We go out to sites where you could surf on the slab. We get cabinets that aren't close to level. We get walls that bow out at every stud. Owner's ought to be aware that there are a lot of bad players out there and if they hire someone with a new license (or no license) they are rolling the dice.
We agree. Lots of bad contractors out there but just as many good ones. Nobody should bash an entire industry which is what this thread has become. And nobody should ever file charges without even speaking with the contractor to allow them to make it right...which is where the thread went wrong

I can't believe we're arguing whether or not it is OK to ruin someone else's property.

I would bet $7USD the roof guy is not insured and does not have a contractor license.

If you were rototilling and blasted your neighbor's '67 Mustang with rocks,
Should he just shrug it off?

I can't believe we're arguing whether or not it is OK to ruin someone else's property.

I would bet $7USD the roof guy is not insured and does not have a contractor license.
I agree sounds like the contractor is trash. The neighbor paid for the damage instantly it sounds like, possibly knowing she hired a fly by night company on the cheap and avoided any further issues with the OP

The entire argument was filing charges without talking to anyone first to try to resolve the issue peacefully and how far to push a possible issue with a good neighbor

tenor.gif

This isn't the most amazing thread. There's the EAC thread, Marine that hated bleach users, couch on the porch thread/code monkeys. Still, it's epic in stupidity. Most advocates for peace love and harmony don't threaten to shoot people. Most.

"Youd would be the neighbor I'd be forced to shoot....hes bitchin about a plant...a plant."

"keeping peace in the world....I'm an advocate for peace love and harmony"

I dont have anger issue at all.This is what I do for a living so I take it personally when people start contractor bashing. I dont know the contractor obviously...and neither do you but yet you feel the need to call them "subpar" judging an entire company on one picture....thats wrong.

My take on the thread is this,
The neighbor is getting his roof done directly on the property line.
Thing are landing on his yard, OP talks to contractor and they do there best to protect the property
Op is upset about debris on property and damage to plants
This is all within a 24 hour period
Homeowner has not even had the chance to talk to the neighbor or contractor within the 24 hour period when posting the first post.

Instantly the response from some here was
Call the police
call the insurance company
file a report
Get him for trespassing
teach him lesson
Crappy subpar contractor

I said dont do any of those things and keep the peace with the neighbor and give the contractor a chance to make it right...but I'm the one with an anger issue?

Again this is all within a 24 hour period before the OP even had a chance to speak with anyone to resolve the issue
All those things listed is the absolute wrong way to handle the situation

If this was my company I would have spoken to the neighbor and explained the house is on the property line and there will be some debris coming down on his yard and its unavoidable. I would have protected the yard before starting and cleaned the debris off the neighbors yard the second the roof was finished being removed the same day. We would never leave it a mess overnight....so thats on the contractor for leaving it there overnight. I still wouldnt lablel an entire company as subpar or call the police looking at one piture all within a 24 hour period without even giving the contractor a chance to make it right.

I also said in an earlier post the neighbor may just hand over the money and say sorry which is exactly what happened

Lots of people turning molehills into mountains around here...keep things simple before jumping to conclusions
usually works out best which is what I've been saying from the beginning

Your siding comments are extreme. I've done endless siding. Good chance the siding is vinyl. If its standard double 4 many times you can buy a single panel for $10. If not a 2 sq box (200 sq ft for those who dont know) is on average $150 and most supply houses WILL take back open boxes for return. A single panel takes about 10 minutes to change with a zip tool. It could be more involved depending on the siding. The vast majority of all houses are not special order due to cost and wide variety of standard siding to choose from..THe odds are in the OP's favor the siding is available and returnable. The OP hasnt posted a pic so there is no way to tell

Bug infestation and water infiltration over a hole in the siding is fear mongering and so over the top.Good chance there is rigid insulation behind the siding and there is definity waterproof breathable house wrap behind the insulation. Without seeing a picture odds are the hole in the siding could stay there till the end of time without causing any damage whatsoever. Perfect example of turning molehills into mountains and shouldnt even be mentioned without even seeing a picture of the damage...cheers

SO. . . From what I have read; the only one who ACTUALLY knows the OP, the contractor, or the neighbor is the OP? And yet, I have seen people flat out positive that the contractor is a hack, a fly-by-night, uninsured, unlicensed, a cheat, a dirty operator, and an all around scoundrel. That sound about right? Not to speak for anyone else, but i think part of the reason Johnny Rotten is so upset it that SO MANY of you are exhibiting such all knowing omnipotent powers! I mean ya'll sure seem to know EVERYTHING about someone you know NOTHING about!!!! I usually wait to form an opinion on someones workmanship, and professionalism until AFTER I have actually used/met them. But then - my social media super powers are clearly not as well formed as the rest . . .

. . . I usually wait to form an opinion on someones workmanship, and professionalism until AFTER I have actually used/met them..

Assuming the roofer is not mentally retarded, he would have known that roofing material falling from the roof could cause damage. He failed to formulate an acceptable mitigation plan.

There is no need to use or meet him to realize he sucks.

One thing that's not clear...did the roofer actually ask permission to use the OP's property before he started? Legally no contractor has a right to step foot on an adjoining property much less use it unless they have made arrangements beforehand and no legitimate contractor would do so without permission.

No, he did not ask to use my property. They were back yesterday morning, but once they saw me walking to the code officers building (from the "go ahead" of the contractor from Sunday night) when they did not have my yard cleaned up as he promised the homeowner earlier in the day, they all packed up and took off like rockets. They have not been back yet.

Sorry for your head ache gotbeer. I hope you will be able to get this resolved to your Benifit without causing issues between you and your neighbor.

No, he did not ask to use my property. They were back yesterday morning, but once they saw me walking to the code officers building (from the "go ahead" of the contractor from Sunday night) when they did not have my yard cleaned up as he promised the homeowner earlier in the day, they all packed up and took off like rockets. They have not been back yet.
Ya thats bad. So the roofing is still in the yard?

If so an easy solution would be to talk to your neighbor nicely ask where on her property she wants the roofing. Flag down a local landscaper and ask them to move the pile from your yard to her yard. The usually have those big green grass barrels and would most likely only take a half an hour to clean up and move

Have her pay the landscaper.
Keeping the piece with neighbor while getting your stuff off your lawn

Way better easier and faster than any legal action
Shes already paid you for the plants, chalk it up to an unfortunate headache and move on

Last edited:
SO. . . From what I have read; the only one who ACTUALLY knows the OP, the contractor, or the neighbor is the OP? And yet, I have seen people flat out positive that the contractor is a hack, a fly-by-night, uninsured, unlicensed, a cheat, a dirty operator, and an all around scoundrel. That sound about right?
You forgot to include that the contractor is a Vacuous, stuffy nosed mal-odourus pervert who's mother was a hamster and his father smells of elderberries. Furthermore, he's also a tiny brained wiper of other people's bottoms who should go away unless he wants taunted a second time.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Perhaps it is only me, but every time I see @Staylow 's avatar, it reminds me of.....

John is that you?

I take it you've never seen Dethklok Metalocalypse? That's Murderface, the bass player of the the most popular band, and 7th largest economy in the world, Dethklok.

You are correct. I learned something new today. There is a similarity with Geezer Butler, but to me, I always think of John Kay.

Gunhaus.. DID you and JOHNNY go to the SAME SCHOOL by chance? There is something similar about you guys. ARE you a ROOFER too?

Reactions: Kee
SO. . . From what I have read; the only one who ACTUALLY knows the OP, the contractor, or the neighbor is the OP? And yet, I have seen people flat out positive that the contractor is a hack, a fly-by-night, uninsured, unlicensed, a cheat, a dirty operator, and an all around scoundrel. That sound about right?
We know the contractor isn't doing things right by what OP told us.

Yesterday I saw slates flying into my plants and damaging them, so I went out and asked them to be careful since they are on my property. I went out after they went to lunch and found one plant ripped out of the ground and another bush with plywood laying on top of it. View attachment 627379

Without asking, they used OP's yard to do work. There is no excuse for this. You NEVER trespass without permission.

Not sure about the contractor found 3 soda cans and Gatorade bottles in my yard no where near the roof.

They are leaving trash in OP's yard instead of disposing properly.

I asked her yesterday to have the slate and plywood up off the plants that night. I told her I did not mind them using my property to put up their ladders and to bring material into her back yard for storage. The contractor heard me telling her and said he would have it done by Monday night at the earliest and he would tell me what can and cant be done. I said that is fine and I'll go speak with the code enforcer on Monday. I've given you a day and a half to just move the debris out of my yard. Then showing him how heard property had nothing on it and was swept up. So this morning I walked up to the code enforcer's office and spoke with him. I told him I wasnt looking for trouble and just wanted to know the code for roofing. He said the use of chutes and other material needed to keep a majority of the material off of neighboring yards is required and all work must be done from the property owners site. When I got back home the crew was packing up all the equipment and left the jobsite in like 10 minutes. Im guessing they weren't licensed to work in the area.

When asked to clean up at the end of the day (like EVERY job site I have ever seen!) contractor had the balls to tell OP that he was going to run the job however he wanted, like he has every right to use OP's property however he wants. Then he takes off, without finishing the job, and leaving his debris. How can this be construed as anything but "a hack, a fly-by-night, uninsured, unlicensed, a cheat, a dirty operator, and an all around scoundrel"?

We know the contractor isn't doing things right by what OP told us.

Without asking, they used OP's yard to do work. There is no excuse for this. You NEVER trespass without permission.

They are leaving trash in OP's yard instead of disposing properly.

When asked to clean up at the end of the day (like EVERY job site I have ever seen!) contractor had the balls to tell OP that he was going to run the job however he wanted, like he has every right to use OP's property however he wants. Then he takes off, without finishing the job, and leaving his debris. How can this be construed as anything but "a hack, a fly-by-night, uninsured, unlicensed, a cheat, a dirty operator, and an all around scoundrel"?
Agreed on all posts.....except for the fact that when the roofing started falling into the yard the OP went over and asked them to be more careful and let them come onto the property to protect it....Every single negative post was before the OP enen had a chance to speak with the neighbor and contractor about making it right...yet they're advice was to call the police, file reports, file for trespassing and every other wrong thing to do before even having a conversation

Agreed on all posts.....except for the fact that when the roofing started falling into the yard the OP went over and asked them to be more careful and let them come onto the property to protect it....Every single negative post was before the OP enen had a chance to speak with the neighbor and contractor about making it right...yet they're advice was to call the police, file reports, file for trespassing and every other wrong thing to do before even having a conversation

OP should not have to say anything to make it right, individuals that was in the wrong should have taken care of the issue from the beginning. It’s that simple. Tempers blow because most (not all) people have lost respect for other people belongings/property. And when your stuff gets food bar because of somebody else, you tend to get upset.

However what is done, is done.. OP has done what he can. Either the neighbor will take care of it, or he will need to do it himself.

Gunhaus.. DID you and JOHNNY go to the SAME SCHOOL by chance? There is something similar about you guys. ARE you a ROOFER too?
Ballistic engineer, and type 07 FFL (Licensed manufacturer) Thank you for asking though. And for proving my point - That a LOT OF PEOPLE with absolutely NO FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE in this situation; nonetheless feel perfectly informed to cast unending and unsubstantiated aspersions. In other words you are being what my last roofer called a "Richard Cranium"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back