Rolling Mill Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I just started a rolling mill project today......... 3" dia steel pipe........ I cut the ends with a hole saw. Next weekend, I will cut the pipe to length, and machine a recess into it for the ends, weld them on, bore for a 1" shaft, and machine the surfaces true with the shaft..... and knurl them....... I can go about any length I want........ Looking at about 10"

I'm debating weather it makes sense to wrap a chain drive so both rollers drive...... It's pretty simple. Any thoughts on this? You simply run the chain diagonally through the two drive sprockets, and have an extra idler.

I was very impressed with the concrete rollers someone built.....but there's really no point in it for me. This will use 1" flangette "farmer bearings"........

Any words of wisdom on this would be appreciated....... for example is it worth knurling ? That amounts only to putting a knurling tool in the tool post and running it the length of the pipe. How about drive on both rollers? Does it pay? I do small batches..... 1.5 - 2.5 gallons, so it's almost silly! But I can buy a 50lb bag of two row for $35....... that's a huge savings over the rolled price at the LHBS. I would love to have it pedal powered, but for 5 lbs (typical), it's hardly worth having it powered except "armstrong" power.......

H.W.

Latest posts

Back