Rolling conical into a chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shtank

Reaction score
After searching for an hour I can only find one build that matches this, and he stopped updating so I don't know how well this actually work.

Anyone have good luck rolling their conical a fermentation chamber?

If so what size is your setup? Is there any downsides? Pictures please?

I'm currently putting together my brew rig and am very interested in just rolling my half barrel chronical into a fermentation chamber. The biggest problem seems to be the floor or lack of.

You would need a ramp or a lift. Depends upon the height difference you need to navigate. Why is there no floor?

You would need a ramp or a lift. Depends upon the height difference you need to navigate. Why is there no floor?

I assumed the that others who have built these do not put insulation onthe floor so you can roll the fermenter into it without having to lift it up onto a ramp.

Did you build one and are using ramp? If so how is it working for you?

I can cold crash reliably down to 38*F with out the a/c coils freezing up and temperature regulation in the 45-70*F range is ~.5*F with the BrewPi.

Prost!

I posted a video that has the way I transfer my 17 gallon conical back and forth. It's a simple wooden roller cart that is the same height as the fridge. It's called conical to keg transfer video.
It works really well and whenever I need to do anything I just roll it onto the cart.

shtank:

Here's the thread for my build: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=484888

15 gallon plastic conical on 2.5" casters, insulated enclosure with no floor. Cooling with a 5,000 btu window A/C.

Hope it helps...

Nice build!

This is very similar to what I want to build. The only difference is I want to have a partition in the middle with a cold side and warmer side. The cold side I will have my kegs with taps coming out the wall so I can serve. In the partition I'll have to fan controlling the warm side for fermentation. I will put 4 inches of foam on the cold side walls, floor, and partition and put two inches of foam on the warm side.

I plan to use the same thing as you an AC unit with 5000 BTU controlled by an stc-1000, and a proof I to control the two fans going into the ferm chamber.

Do you see any reason this will not work?

I posted a video that has the way I transfer my 17 gallon conical back and forth. It's a simple wooden roller cart that is the same height as the fridge. It's called conical to keg transfer video.
It works really well and whenever I need to do anything I just roll it onto the cart.

I can cold crash reliably down to 38*F with out the a/c coils freezing up and temperature regulation in the 45-70*F range is ~.5*F with the BrewPi.

Prost!

This is great to hear, but how cold is your floor basically where do you live?

Nice build!

This is very similar to what I want to build. The only difference is I want to have a partition in the middle with a cold side and warmer side. The cold side I will have my kegs with taps coming out the wall so I can serve. In the partition I'll have to fan controlling the warm side for fermentation. I will put 4 inches of foam on the cold side walls, floor, and partition and put two inches of foam on the warm side.

I plan to use the same thing as you an AC unit with 5000 BTU controlled by an stc-1000, and a proof I to control the two fans going into the ferm chamber.

Do you see any reason this will not work?

I don't see why not...though it would be a lot more complicated than my design. You would probably need two a/c's and two controllers, unless you do some kind of temperature controlled damper system between the cold and fermentation side...way more complicated than I would want to mess around with...
You'd also probably want to build separate doors/access so you don't disturb the temp of one side when opening the other...

Other than that, its totally do-able, its just time and money:D

jlajr2483 that is the same conical i have...now you have me thinking if this build is worth it.:confused:

Back