Rogue's House train

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer Gerard

Reaction score
Well i was just having a glance at the thread that discusses wyeast 1768 discontinuation and how hard it is to get your hands on Rogue's strain. Somebody suggested that the dregs of a bottle could be used to grow up a culture to do a batch. Amazingly i can get a few of rogues beers locally but as far as i can see it has been filtered ta f**k.

Would there be any viable cells in a filtered beer? Really would like to do a dead guy clone and having the same yeast would surely aid success.

House Train .... :eek:

I have used Pacman for many a Rogue beer, and to be blunt, I am really starting to dislike it. When I was an all-grain newbie, my first few batches were Dead Guy, then Shakespeare Stout, Dead Guy again, the a Double Dead guy.

For reasons unknown (then), each had an underlying taste that I just could not pinpoint. Not bad, not good, just there, in every batch.

Eventually I moved onto other brews but revisited a Double Dead guy in April. Using Pacman again, that damned unknown flavor reappeared. It is the yeast itself.

My brew process does not incorporate clarifying/fining and I suspect that Pacman likes to linger. Just an uneducated guess.

From what I have read, to address your question, is that you can cultivate Pacman from bottle dregs. I haven't - others have.

House Train .... :eek:

Just saw that now:eek:

From what I have read, to address your question, is that you can cultivate Pacman from bottle dregs. I haven't - others have.

mmmm

Just wondering has filtration been incorporated in more recent years.

I used to buy sierra nevada beers that had sedimentation but you don't get that anymore. In relation to the odd flavour you speak of can't say i get it in their commercial beers.

Sod it i'll just give it a try and report back whats a few € DME after all

Rogue filters very few beers...almost none AFAIK. SN bottle or keg conditions everything they make. No matter what it looks like, there's yeast in there.

Dang man. Your from Ireland? I have 10 gallons of a light ale sittin on Pacman right now. When its done I'm going to have a huge culture. Might not be worth shipping that far though.

Discontinued? I bought some about a month ago with a date that was not that old. Was this really recent?

Cheers for the offer mang. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Donk perhaps i interpreted the thread incorrectly, i'll see can i add a link later.

Cheers for info denny

Rogue filters very few beers...almost none AFAIK. SN bottle or keg conditions everything they make. No matter what it looks like, there's yeast in there.

I bottle harvested from a single bomber of Dead Guy but it took a handful of "step ups" to get it noticeably moving. It's a good strain but does leave a slight "fruity" taste where as 1056 is more neutral.

I bottle harvested from a single bomber of Dead Guy but it took a handful of "step ups" to get it noticeably moving. It's a good strain but does leave a slight "fruity" taste where as 1056 is more neutral.

I can't recall ever harvesting from a bottle that didn't take at least 3 steps to get enough yeast to pitch.

Whats your process for doing the steps. Do you have set volumes for building up?

It's been a long time since I've done it, but IIRC it was maybe 50 ml. to 500 ml. to 2-3L. To tell ya the truth, I'd rather just buy the yeast...I'm lazy....er, pragmatic....like that!

Back