Roggenbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tykees

Reaction score
So I am about a week into fermentation on my hefe. I am going to brew a roggenbier next to reuse the yeast cake. I have seen recipes with just pilsener malt and rye. But ive also seen some with munich malt, even crystal malt or splitting the rye in half with wheat. What do any of you guys prefer that have done either or both. I was originally planning just 50/50 split rye and pilsener malt. Tjatnks for any input

Munich or crystal would be to style, but I'd really only use crystal to adjust your color depending on what you're going for. Wheat malt would be handy for lightening the body, but 50/50 rye/wheat would be one damn sticky mash. I'm not sure there are enough rice hulls in the world to get that to lauter properly- I'd even be concerned about BIAB-ing it myself.

mmmm, I have a hef in primary as we speak. Now you've got me craving roggenbier.

Its definitely going to be a biab. I would like to get it a little more on the red side color wise. A small mixture of crystal and munich but like you said mostly for color purposes. Im a rye beer fanatic so this one made perfect sense to me.

Northern Brewer has a roggenbier kit that I'm going to reproduce next weekend from on-hand grain. I'd show the recipe here but am wary of IP issues -- and it's pretty easy to find on their website.

I have seen their recipe for it. It seems to be a little too americanized for me though. Im sure its a tasty beer. Are you replicating or making any tweaks

I'm using different brands for some of the malts -- including a substitution of Briess Bonlander Munich for the German Munich, which sounds like it might be a bit problematic (but I'm willing to experiment). I'm also going to pitch the Wyeast Weihenstephaner instead the Bavarian Wheat. There's no particular logic behind the substitutions other than the desire to use materials I already have on hand.

So im looking at 5 lbs rye 3 lbs munich 1.5 lbs pilsener 8oz. C60 and 2 oz. debittered black... Thoughts feedback

Went with the above recipe. Planning on brewing today. Using washed yeast danstar munich and 2 oz. of hallertau

Latest posts

Back