Roggenbier recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
First time I have tried this style, I'm making one because I have never had to opportunity to drink a commercial example so I what it to be fairly typical.

After some research this is what I have

2.2lbs weyermann premium pilsner
2.2lbs weyermann Munich I
1lb caramunich II
6.4lb Rye malt
2.5oz midnight wheat

Mash will be a single infusion starting with a combined ferrlic acid/beta glycan rest at 43°C at pH 5.7

The mash in the acid malt to bring pH down to 5.3 followed by a double decoction first step at 64°C and then at 68°C. Finally a mash out to 72°C.

Vorlauf then Batch sparge.

90min boil

Magnum to bitter at 60mins, Tattnanger hops for aroma at 5 mins.

Fermentation cool with WLP380 ramp towards end of fermentation.

If anyone else has made or drunk this style your feedback would be welcome

Imported Roggenbiers are difficult to find here, at least in my experience. I've only had one or two, at a bar that specializes in German beers - that's all they serve. I think your recipe looks about right. I don't know Midnight Wheat - is that debittered? I'd consider using a de-bittered black malt, like Black Prinz, if it isn't. Also, the bitterness should be pretty low, in the 15 - 18 IBU range I think. Depending on the AA% of the Magnum you can get, that might be difficult. You could substitute some of the Tattnanger, or use Hallertau or even Saaz.

I have one of these on tap right now.

First recommendation, rice hulls. Lots of them.

I only used a single infusion mash and it worked fine for me, but I was trying to avoid the clove flavors and focus on the fruity esters.

Midnight wheat should get you exactly what you are looking for, good color without a roasty flavor contribution.

Last, from what I have seen, these beers don't clear. If you love clear beer, drink this one out of an opaque container and focus on the aroma and flavor. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the feedback. The only reason I am using midnight wheat is that I had some and didn't want to buy a lb of carafa special III for a couple of oz.

I should be able to bitter low with the magnum, it's 11% aa, but I will just use 1/4 oz or whatever is needed to get the right IBU's.

I have 3lbs of rice hills ready too go.

For fermentation I aim to get some spice and citrus but less banana.

Last edited:
Back