Roggenbier Mash Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noleafclover

Reaction score
Quick question on the usage of rice-hulls...

I'm brewing a roggenbier this weekend. 5 lbs of it is flaked rye of course. The kit (from Northern brewer) comes with 1/4 lbs of rice hulls. I've read that oftentimes folks have trouble with a gummy mess in their mash because of the high amount of flaked rye and lack of hulls to create the grain bed.

So here are my questions..
- Do rice hulls affect the flavor of the beer when used in larger quantities?
- If they don't, would it be wise to toss in 2-3 lbs of rice hulls for this recipe?

I am not doing a decoction mash. I fly sparge...

2-3 pounds is a ton of rice hulls. I couldn't see you needing more then a pound or so. I used a little over a half pound in my pumpkin ale that had almost 6lbs of pureed pumpkin in it and they worked fine. However i batch sparge, so YMMV. As far as i could tell there was no detectable flavor differences.

Make sure you rinse them good. I also usually pre-soak mine so i don't need to account for their absorption when doughing in.

For my roggenbier, I use 10% rice hulls per pound of rye. I use malted rye for about 50% of the grist. I still get a slow run, but it doesn't get gummed up. Take your time and let it run slow...****ing (blowback, cleaning the line, etc.) with it will not help like it will with other mashes.

I'm going to try a beta-glucan rest with my next roggenbier.

Latest posts

Back