roasted taste level of Warsteiner dunkel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam01

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a warsteiner dunkel clone. But my current attempts have been too
low on the roasted flavor end.

I've been using 1/4 lb chocolate with 90/10 or 60/30 split of pilsner and munich.
I'm trying to keep the color down and the munich down since I got a scoresheet
that suggested i brewed a great dunkel, that is too complex for a dark am. lager.

Thoughts ?

Using any carawheat? How about chocolate wheat? I dunno if they use that in their dunkel (I agree it is quite roasty and I like it too) but its just a suggestion.

I'm trying to get a warsteiner dunkel clone. But my current attempts have been too
low on the roasted flavor end.

I've been using 1/4 lb chocolate with 90/10 or 60/30 split of pilsner and munich.
I'm trying to keep the color down and the munich down since I got a scoresheet
that suggested i brewed a great dunkel, that is too complex for a dark am. lager.

Thoughts ?

You're confusing me. You indicate you are trying to brew a German dunkel and then it seems you entered it in a contest as a dark American lager. The roasted flavor in a dunkel should be low, very low. Also if you want to brew a German dunkel try switching that ratio of dark Munich and Pilsner malt. For extra color use a German dark malt like Carafa II rather than chocolate; 75% dark German Munich, 23% Pilsner and 2% Carafa II. If you want a dark American lager buy a bottle of Sinamar and use some to color a basic American lager recipe.

The other way. I'm trying to brew a warsteiner dunkel (WD) clone (the dark am. lager).
Score sheet said - you're in dunkel land. Good big taste; no roast flavors.

I taste a bit of roasted flavors in WD, but I can't seem to find a choc malt level to get
some. I've use carafa and gotten the correct color, but no roast flavors.

Back