Roasted Porter - Coffee, or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechard

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking for an opinion on my very first original recipe. I'm debating adding some crushed coffee beans in secondary (or adding some cold brewed coffee).

Here's what I have:

Partial Mash

Mashing @ 156.0 F for 45 Minutes
3 lb - 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb, 4 oz - Crystal 80
8 oz - Chocolate Malt
4 oz Roasted Barley

3 lb, 8 oz - LME (5 Min Boil)

1.0 oz Northern Brewer (8.5%, 60 Min Boil)
0.5 oz BC Goldings (5.0%, 20 Min Boil)
0.5 oz BC Goldings (5.0%, 5 Min Boil)

Any suggestions for the coffee, or my first Porter recipe? I believe the roasted barley will contribute some coffee flavour, but I do love coffee porters. Is there a better way to handle the coffee addition?

Recipe looks good to me. I think I'd add cold brewed coffee. Provided it had been boiled and cooled of course. My only concern in adding coffee beans to the secondary would be that the beer stays in contact with the coffee beans the entire time the beer is in the secondary. After a while I would think you could get unwanted extra bitterness from the coffee. With the cold brewed you could add some and taste to get the flavor right, and not have to worry about it changing over time.

Back