Roasted Barley Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skitamofo

Reaction score
Hi guys

When I brewed my last batch(Irish Red), I had the pleasure of using roasted barley for the first time. When I crushed it, I noticed it had a nice roasty, almost coffee smell to it. This got me thinking if anyone has thought of grounding the roasted barley and try to brew it like coffee. It seems like it has similar characteristics as a coffee bean(other than caffeine n such). Has anyone been curious enough to try this or am I just whacked for thinking it?

I think you've discovered Postum! That's a roasted grain beverage meant to replace coffee. When I'm brewing, I always like to draw off a cup of the hot wort to drink, especially on a cold morning.

My MIL loved Postum, but the company stopped making it. I found a recipe and made some for her, but it had to be brewed like coffee, and she wanted it more like an instant powder. Was quite a PITA to source and roast that stuff, since it was before I started brewing. It did taste just like the commercial product, though.

SharonaZamboni said:
My MIL loved Postum, but the company stopped making it. I found a recipe and made some for her, but it had to be brewed like coffee, and she wanted it more like an instant powder. Was quite a PITA to source and roast that stuff, since it was before I started brewing. It did taste just like the commercial product, though.

I wonder if you could brew it as a concentrate, like cold process coffee. That way you could cook up several days worth at a time and make it a little less of a hassle.

Hi guys

When I brewed my last batch(Irish Red), I had the pleasure of using roasted barley for the first time. When I crushed it, I noticed it had a nice roasty, almost coffee smell to it. This got me thinking if anyone has thought of grounding the roasted barley and try to brew it like coffee. It seems like it has similar characteristics as a coffee bean(other than caffeine n such). Has anyone been curious enough to try this or am I just whacked for thinking it?
I do this for years. Italian espresso and ground chocolate barley half and half in an Italian coffee maker.

Look for Orzo Pupo, roasted barley instant drink

Apparently, Postum is "back"...

"Delicious news, Postum® lovers – your favorite coffee substitute beverage is back. That’s right. The warm, comforting classic that’s been part of families for more than 100 years is back with its original recipe. And it’s just as satisfying as you remember.

This coffee replacement still has that smooth, toasted flavor you love. It’s still made from simple, natural ingredients: wheat grain and molasses. And, of course, it’s still 100% caffeine-free so you can enjoy it all day long.

So relax. Hold a nice hot cup of Postum in your hands. That cup is filled with much more than savory roasted flavor. It’s filled with warm memories, too – memories of childhood and cozy kitchens, and a tradition that’s been passed from generation to generation."

https://postum.com/

Apparently, Postum is "back"...

"Delicious news, Postum® lovers – your favorite coffee substitute beverage is back. That’s right. The warm, comforting classic that’s been part of families for more than 100 years is back with its original recipe. And it’s just as satisfying as you remember.

This coffee replacement still has that smooth, toasted flavor you love. It’s still made from simple, natural ingredients: wheat grain and molasses. And, of course, it’s still 100% caffeine-free so you can enjoy it all day long.

So relax. Hold a nice hot cup of Postum in your hands. That cup is filled with much more than savory roasted flavor. It’s filled with warm memories, too – memories of childhood and cozy kitchens, and a tradition that’s been passed from generation to generation."

https://postum.com/

Sounds like it's worth trying some midnight wheat with a touch of molasses

Latest posts

Back