Quantcast

Roasted Barley Coffee

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

skitamofo

Reaction score
Hi guys

When I brewed my last batch(Irish Red), I had the pleasure of using roasted barley for the first time. When I crushed it, I noticed it had a nice roasty, almost coffee smell to it. This got me thinking if anyone has thought of grounding the roasted barley and try to brew it like coffee. It seems like it has similar characteristics as a coffee bean(other than caffeine n such). Has anyone been curious enough to try this or am I just whacked for thinking it?

ong

Reaction score
I think you've discovered Postum! That's a roasted grain beverage meant to replace coffee. When I'm brewing, I always like to draw off a cup of the hot wort to drink, especially on a cold morning.

Reaction score
My MIL loved Postum, but the company stopped making it. I found a recipe and made some for her, but it had to be brewed like coffee, and she wanted it more like an instant powder. Was quite a PITA to source and roast that stuff, since it was before I started brewing. It did taste just like the commercial product, though.

ong

Reaction score
SharonaZamboni said:
My MIL loved Postum, but the company stopped making it. I found a recipe and made some for her, but it had to be brewed like coffee, and she wanted it more like an instant powder. Was quite a PITA to source and roast that stuff, since it was before I started brewing. It did taste just like the commercial product, though.
I wonder if you could brew it as a concentrate, like cold process coffee. That way you could cook up several days worth at a time and make it a little less of a hassle.

OP
skitamofo

skitamofo

Reaction score
Interesting. I will need to find a coffee grinder I guess lol.