Roasted Barley, Biscuit Malt in a Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All
I am making the Northern Brewers "Inn Keeper" recipe and I have two questions.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/Innkeeper.pdf

[1] There is biscuit malt in it, but it is an extract recipe. I thought biscuit needed to be mashed. If so, does it need other grains to be mashed properly.

[2] I have 8 oz of roasted barley. If I was to add any to this recipe, what would be an appropriate amount and would I need to do anything special to mash it?

Thanks for any input here!

Hey All
I am making the Northern Brewers "Inn Keeper" recipe and I have two questions.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/Innkeeper.pdf

[1] There is biscuit malt in it, but it is an extract recipe. I thought biscuit needed to be mashed. If so, does it need other grains to be mashed properly.

[2] I have 8 oz of roasted barley. If I was to add any to this recipe, what would be an appropriate amount and would I need to do anything special to mash it?

Thanks for any input here!

Maybe the biscuit is just there for color. It's a small amount, and I see they use it for other extract recipes as well.

Roasted barley can be mashed. 8 ounces is a good amount (what many stouts have), so you're really changing it. If you wanted a lighter touch, maybe try 2-4 ounces.

I've steeped biscuit, with good results even though it is supposed to be mashed. It'll be fine.

Im not a roasted barley fan in anything except stouts, so I can't help you there.

Thanks again for the replies.
Another question on the same recipe... What is with the 45 minute addition? That seems like a weird time. I hate to mess with the recipe, but what do you think is the thinking behind it?

Back