RO Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbe0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
there seems to be more people brewing with RO water these days. I have been looking into getting a RO water filtration system but don't want to spend a ton of money on it.
So I found one that isn't going to break the bank. Tell me what you guys think of this system for brewing Water.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJCE2X4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
in my opinion i think ro water is not really necessary for brewing water it strips all the minerals out of it i just use a simple whole house filter with a carbon filter to remove any chlorine and other chemicals in the water that will produce off flavors but its really your decision in the end

I don't know much about systems, but it seems very small and cheap. The description talks about it being good for RVs and yachts, so I'm thinking it may not be big enough for your needs. I also don't know about the flow restrictor and the waste water amount- it may come out more expensive in the long run.

I bought one very much like this: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-ro-only-system-75gpd-2.html a few years ago, and haven't even needed to change a filter.

RO water is an easy way to mirror city water profiles for different styles of beer. I get it out of the machines near me for $1 per 5 gallons. And doubt it would be cost effective to buy a system large enough and maintain it for that price.

RO water is an easy way to mirror city water profiles for different styles of beer. I get it out of the machines near me for $1 per 5 gallons. And doubt it would be cost effective to buy a system large enough and maintain it for that price.

Maybe. But for me, I paid $119 several years ago. I do 11 gallon sized batches, and almost always use 100% RO water. So, that's 15 gallons on each brewday.

Not only is the cost is something to consider, but the inconvenience of hauling 120 pounds of water each brewday is something that I didn't enjoy!

The convenience factor may be the biggest benefit.

there seems to be more people brewing with RO water these days. I have been looking into getting a RO water filtration system but don't want to spend a ton of money on it.
So I found one that isn't going to break the bank. Tell me what you guys think of this system for brewing Water.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GJCE2X4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

plus if i'm reading this correct it does 50g a day so a little more than 2g/hr so you would definitely want a holding tank of some kind or just start the day before and collect what you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been meticulous about my water lately. sent a sample of my water in Livonia MI to ward labs. results were surprisingly neutral and nothing out of the ordinary. I have been using RO water (primo) from walmart for 37 CENTS per gallon on my last 3 batches of brew.. and adding a few ml of lactic to the mash water.. and salts to the sparge and mash water (using EZ mash calc) . My beers have had more flavor and fermented cleaner.

As far as the system you posted.. looks cheap to say the least. I would go with a kit from buckeye hydro if your serious about a home RO setup. For me and for now its just easier to buy 10 gal from walmart every brew day. Just have to wait in line. Ugh. lol

I have heard from people that use a TDS meter to find out if the RO water from the Walmart machines are ok. Some times they don't seem to clean those machines and the water isn't as RO as it should. But I don't own a TDS tester and I never have used the RO water from Walmart so I am kind of dumb on that subject.
This is the reason I am doing this, to learn from people that know more than me. Seems if I have my own RO water I can regulate it better.
I just got my information back from Ward Labs that tested my water. I think I am going to mess with that before I take the plunge with the Ro system.
Please keep up with the info, I need to become smarter about this in order to make a good decision of which way to go.

plus if i'm reading this correct it does 50g a day so a little more than 2g/hr so you would definitely want a holding tank of some kind or just start the day before and collect what you need.

Yep a big holding tank, like a hot liquor tank. Turn the RO system on the afternoon of the day before and you'll have enough water by the time you go to bed.

Back