RO water good for brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthCitra

Reaction score
I'm on my third brew and about to step it up and go to three gallons with my new big mouth bubbler. I just read something about RO water isn't the best and that you need to add some water salts and something else to it. Is this true and if so please explain. I have RO system in my house and use that water for my last two brews, first one came out fine and the second is bottle aging now.

:mug:

I'm more of an artist than an engineer or scientist, so take with a grain or two of salt.....

I use 50/50 RO water and tap water in my brews. I used to brew with 100% tap, but I like the way the 50/50 has turned out in the last 8+ beers.

It depends on the style of beer you're brewing. Most filtered water has very low TDS (total dissolved solids) and might be missing nutrients that your mash will need to hit the right pH and your yeasts will need to grow and thrive in the wort. Sometimes "pure" can be a little too pure.

Check the water chemistry forum for hints on how to mix up your brewing water if you're starting from distilled or R/O water. There are beers that will benefit from softer water such as European Pilsners and beers that benefit from chalkier water such as IPA's.

I may be wrong, but I believe RO water will not have any minerals that you want in your wort. The appeal of using it is that you can add whatever chemicals you need to tailor your water to a specific style.

But if you don't add anything, I would use something else. I use spring water.

RO water is absolutely perfect for all extract brews, partial mashes, and most all grain beers. For all-grain, it may be advisable to add some calcium chloride to RO water for some beers.

But for any beer using extract, distilled or RO water is ideal. The mash profile has been done already by the manufacturer, and there is no need to add anything at all.

It depends on the style of beer you're brewing. Most filtered water has very low TDS (total dissolved solids) and might be missing nutrients that your mash will need to hit the right pH and your yeasts will need to grow and thrive in the wort. Sometimes "pure" can be a little too pure.

Check the water chemistry forum for hints on how to mix up your brewing water if you're starting from distilled or R/O water. There are beers that will benefit from softer water such as European Pilsners and beers that benefit from chalkier water such as IPA's.

I brew mainly IPA's. Im a bit of a hophead! for my next brew im thinking of doing a concentrated all grain approach and top off to three gallons in my fermenter since I have a smaller kettle.

I greatly appreciate all the responses!:tank:

I brew mainly IPA's. Im a bit of a hophead! for my next brew im thinking of doing a concentrated all grain approach and top off to three gallons in my fermenter since I have a smaller kettle.

As a general rule the darker grains will acidify the mash more than lighter grains. Your RO water is probably about perfect for most light beers such as the IPA's you enjoy. If you decide to do darker beers such as porters, stouts, Irish reds, etc. you may find the darker malts bring the mash pH down into the 4's which is too acid for good conversion.

If the beer you are making now tastes good to you then you probably don't need to do anything but make beer and enjoy. If you decide to try darker beers a good pH meter would be a good investment. Then you will be able to test the mash pH and add modifiers as needed to get it right.

Back