RO vs Distilled water for extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how1

Reaction score
I've read that distilled water is fine for brewing with extract. I've also read that reverse osmosis water is suppose to taste better than distilled water. Does it make a difference which type you use for extract brewing? Second question: My tap water has a ph of about 8.2 to 8.5. When brewing all grain I will add about 30% distilled water to lower my mash ph. Does this help? I am a total dummy when it comes to water profiles. I try to read the posts on water profiles, but it totally baffles me.

There should be very little difference between beer brewed with extract and distilled water vs with RO water. Neither should have enough minerals to be noticed in the taste.

The pH of your water makes little difference in all grain brewing because it isn't the water pH but the mash pH that is critical. Your water could be very alkaline but have so few minerals in it that the addition of grains could get you right to the proper range or it could be just slightly alkaline but with so many minerals that the mash can't pull it down. You need to either get a full water report and work up the mineral additions that will get your mash pH where you want it, start with RO water and adjust the minerals to what you want, or use a pH meter and adjust the mash to get the pH needed.

Thanks for the reply. I have most of my processes down by now, but water chemistry has eluded me. I guess I'm just gonna have to sit down and tackle the water issue until I understand it! I know Yooper posted a good thread on adjusting water. I better take notes!!!!:)

Thanks for the reply. I have most of my processes down by now, but water chemistry has eluded me. I guess I'm just gonna have to sit down and tackle the water issue until I understand it! I know Yooper posted a good thread on adjusting water. I better take notes!!!!:)

For about $15 plus shipping you can send a water sample off to Ward Labs and get a report on your water's content as it pertains to making beer and then start learning what minerals to add and how much or.....

you could just buy this digital pH meter for about $4.45 and take samples during the mash so you know what mash pH you have and adjust the next batch with minerals or acid to account for any discrepancy from what it should be. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Accur...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19f94cf721

This linked pH meter is not correct. Please do not order it as it is simply the case for one. Refer to the post lower to order the correct one.

Thanks to Fimpster for pointing that out.

Sorry, not to be a dick, but $4.45 is for the case only without the pH meter. The meter with case is $65.

No, you're not a dick, I missed that part down in the bottom of the listing. I'm glad you caught it. How about this one instead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-05pH-High...671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d45bcc2f

It still doesn't work at mash temperature but drawing a small sample (less than 1/4 cup) and it will cool to the ATC temperature of 122F shortly, especially if you were to use a metal measure cup and then immerse it in cold water.

Wow, that seems to good to be true. From the looks of it, it must be a knock off of a Hanna Prep. If it works as well as the Hanna it's a great deal.

What if it doesn't work as good as a Hanna? What if it is off by .1 or .2? It still is closer than a guess.

+1 for a Ward Labs water report, although mine was $40 total. I'd say its worth it... If you have a water report, you can then use a variety of online spreadsheets that do a lot of the calculations for you. This one is particularly simple to use: http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

Once you plug in your water pH, minerals and grain bill, these things tell you exactly what your all-important mash pH will be and then you can play around with minerals and salts to adjust it, if need be.

Just ordered the ph meter and thanks for the ezwatercalculator tip!

Latest posts

Back