Rising Micro Brew Prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erbium:YAG

Reaction score
In my general area (NJ), I've noticed that the cost of micro brews have gone up quite a bit in the last several months. It used to be that your average cost for a six pack might be $7.50; but lately that's almost impossible to find. These days it'll cost me anywhere between $8.50 to $10, not including tax. The other day I saw Troegs Mad Elf in the cooler and nearly fainted when I saw the price, $14.59 for a six pack. I don't know about you; but as much as I like to try new brews, I refuse to spend that much. It goes without saying, that was one six pack of Mad Elf that stayed in the cooler that day. I'm sure gas prices factor into the equation, naturally increasing the cost of distribution; but fuel costs are probably the lowest thev've been in more than a year. I'm curious if people in other areas are seeing the same thing. In the meantime I'm now really beginning to appreciate the cost effectiveness of brewing my own.

erbiumyag said:
In my general area (NJ), I've noticed that the cost of micro brews have gone up quite a bit in the last several months. It used to be that your average cost for a six pack might be $7.50; but lately that's almost impossible to find. These days it'll cost me anywhere between $8.50 to $10, not including tax. The other day I saw Troegs Mad Elf in the cooler and nearly fainted when I saw the price, $14.59 for a six pack. I don't know about you; but as much as I like to try new brews, I refuse to spend that much. It goes without saying, that was one six pack of Mad Elf that stayed in the cooler that day. I'm sure gas prices factor into the equation, naturally increasing the cost of distribution; but fuel costs are probably the lowest thev've been in more than a year. I'm curious if people in other areas are seeing the same thing. In the meantime I'm now really beginning to appreciate the cost effectiveness of brewing my own.

i've not really noticed a price change here but we normally go for cases. six packs tend to be too expensive. Although most cases we buy are around $33 which works out to $8.50 a six pack.

Wow, thats pricey. Just a few years ago in TX the standard was "six bucks for a six pack" but now its in the $7s and $8s. Its almost enough to make you start brewing!

$7.99 a sixer for good microbrew is typical. $7.99 is also typical for bad microbrew, for that matter.

I expect to pay $7- $10 for a 6-pack of good brew. I don't flinch at spending twice that if the beer promises to be really really good.

Interesting fact I learned yesterday- In 1991 Illinois TRIPLED the tax on beer, wine, and spirits- the largest tax increase of any kind in history.

Around the U.S., on average, 43% of the cost of a beer is tax.

Maybe you had a tax increase kick in recently? When in doubt, blame the politicians... that's what I say.

Well I can kind of see it for the Mad Elf, big beers take lots more in terms of time and to degree ingredients to produce (honey and cherries are fairly expensive). When I picked up a case of it, I didn't even bother asking because I knew it would be a lot. $45 (with tax) so yeah pretty darn expensive. I would say it is worth it though. That all being said, I have had this discussion with a friend of mine. I get Spaten products at $24 a case. I always ask myself "Do I want to spend the extra $5 and buy something that could possibly be hit-or-miss or do I buy something I know is consistent." Usually Spaten stuff wins, not always, but lately. Well this is kind of the thing that drove me into homebrewing in the first place, so I guess you could say it was worth it hehe.

The big hop warehouse fire a couple months back probably didn't help.

Mad Elf "It rings the bell at 11 percent alcohol" $15 for a six-pack of barley wine isn't too bad. Golden Valley's VO IPA Brut is $15 a fifth.

I am paying 9-12 dollars for six packs nowadays in Florida. The Stoudt's Double IPA is around $15! The way I justify it is to imagine what I would pay at the pub for these beers. We have a local beer bar here that charges 5-8 per draft depending (but they have everything) Okocim, Hobgoblin, Kolsch, Delrium Tremens, Duval, Chimay, Hofbrau, you name it and served in its proper glass no less. Also a million and one bottles! So if I go there for happy hour with the boys - It'll be a hefty price tag. So per beer you do better at the store (obviously you lose the being at the bar factor).

Probably has more to do with taxes than anything else. I know when I went to Pennsylvania last October I was floored by how expensive beer was! I guessed it was a combination of taxes and the archaic way they retail beer to the public.

Here in the Chicago area, micros retail from $5.99 on sale to $10, with the average being ~$7.99-8.99. Take a look.

Rhoobarb said:
Here in the Chicago area, micros retail from $5.99 on sale to $10, with the average being ~$7.99-8.99. Take a look.

Wow - they have a great selection. I'm going to have to run over there one of these days

8 bucks a 6r is normal around central jersey here. You really just need to find a good beer store that stocks and moves specialty beer.

more reason to brew your own!!

rdwj said:
Wow - they have a great selection. I'm going to have to run over there one of these days
:off: Yep! The one in Downers is right off I-355 @ Butterfield, next to the Home Despot. You can sign up for a discount card and get 10% off of some items! Best beer selection in the area, IMHO! Binny's is a close 2nd.

My LHBS guy has said that prices will be going up all over because the price of grain is going up a bit. However, this just may be a reason to jack up his own prices.

sounds like why gas prices mysteriously went up 300% in the last 4 years. Oh... gas shortage. LOL! You mean OPEC leaders bought too many Maserati's and need to pay their morgage.

sirsloop said:
sounds like why gas prices mysteriously went up 300% in the last 4 years. Oh... gas shortage. LOL! You mean OPEC leaders bought too many Maserati's and need to pay their morgage.

...It's the terrist's who are to blame - according to dumbya and his zionist neo-con's:(

Careful... politics and homebrewtalk.com don't mix. That last comment's against forum rules, you might want to revise it before a mod stops by.

Back