RIS with Kolsch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shivalotus

Reaction score
I was just reading a thread about holiday beers and thinking about doing a RIS and my mind jumped to the Kolsch I have at home.

Could it be done? Probably
Should it be done? No idea
Has it been done?

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I'm about to try a RIS on Wyeast 3711 that I just brewed a Saison with. I've never heard of anyone trying it with a Kolsch yeast, but I say go for it. At the very least, I think you'll enjoy the experiment, and I doubt you'll dislike the end product, as long as you're using a RIS recipe you know you like.

Of course you can you use a Kolsch yeast....whether it will "taste" like a RIS?? Kolsch yeast is so clean, almost lager like. You might also check the Kolsch yeast's ability to ferment a higher alcohol beer. I think Kolsch yeast would be better suited to a Baltic Porter.

Of course you can you use a Kolsch yeast....whether it will "taste" like a RIS?? Kolsch yeast is so clean, almost lager like. You might also check the Kolsch yeast's ability to ferment a higher alcohol beer. I think Kolsch yeast would be better suited to a Baltic Porter.

Wyeast's Kolsch is supposed to be good up to 10% but I've never tried it.

It would certainly change the beer, I just wonder what the final product would be.

I have decide to proceed.

Now I just have to figure out how I am doing that.

What are you trying to figure out? If you need a recipe, I have one (I think it may be from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles). Otherwise, just brew a RIS, and put it on the Kolsch yeast, right?

What are you trying to figure out? If you need a recipe, I have one (I think it may be from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles). Otherwise, just brew a RIS, and put it on the Kolsch yeast, right?

It was the recipe. I knocked one together on Friday and picked up the things I needed.

How about a split batch? Brew up a RIS, do 2.5 gals with Kolsch yeast and, just in case it's not awesome, ferment the other 2.5 gals with 1056/001, etc and have it standing by.

How about a split batch? Brew up a RIS, do 2.5 gals with Kolsch yeast and, just in case it's not awesome, ferment the other 2.5 gals with 1056/001, etc and have it standing by.

I'm going to be doing this with my IIPA, except I'll be testing out Denny's Favorite. I think I use WLP001 usually, but I really want to see how a different yeast will affect it.

A noble idea but logisticly unfeasible for me.

Update: brewed Sunday all went well though the long boil in the heat wasn't super awesome.

Pitched at 68 degrees. Come home Monday to the smell of fruit and fermentation. Didn't bother to look in the fermentation chamber. Step down to 66 degrees. Get home today less fruit in the air. Open the door to discover it has blown through the airlock. This Kolsch yeast is a monster.

Latest posts

Back