Easter Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some beer styles are associated with different holidays. Anyone have a go to/dedicated Easter beer?

I just happened to brew my first saison of the year and that seems as fitting as anything else, though it was just coincidence.

My other "spring" beers are usually a wit and a head start on warmer-weather lighter beers like kolsch or pilsner. I could see Easter kolsch being a nice pairing. I did a Christmas Kolsch last year (with a tiny bit of mint), but I'm not sure that will be a seasonal regular.

Last edited:
No go to for Easter, just had what I had to serve to family on the holiday, Amber ale and Kolsch. But if there is one style that best suits the time of year, I would say it's the Maibock or as it's called in style guidelines these days Helles Bock. It's traditionally been a beer that was brewed in the fall in Germany, then lagered all winter and released during Lent.

After the Easter Sunday Mass, when there's the blessing of food for the First Meal of Easter, I put forward a single bottle of my homebrew along with other food and it gets blessed too. At home, I put it into the cellar till the next Easter, and bring to the table a bottle blessed last Easter.
My Easter beers are mostly strong Lagers, like Bocks or Baltic Porters, which greatly benefit from a year-long aging.

There's also a dedicated Easter beer in Scandinavian tradition: Påskeøl or Påskebryg, a medium-to-high strength Pale Lager.
It emerged as a Danish take on the famous German Salvator Doppelbock. So, at 5 to 7% ABV the style stood immensely strong among the Danish traditional beers, which more often went as low as 0.5 to 3% ABV.

I'm tempted to brew one for the next Easter, as soon as I find a good clone recipe.

I have never brewed a beer specifically for Easter like I might do for Christmas, etc. But if I were to then I would be thinking like jdauria and say it would probably be bock or maibock which I think are connected to the spring season.

We always have ham at Easter so I’m more about making sure we have a pinot noir to go with the ham. The Beaujolais Nouveau comes out right before Thanksgiving and thats our Thanksgiving wine every year - another holiday I really don’t brew for.

I didn't brew this for Easter, but if I was gonna do an Easter beer, I'd do this one:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/honey-chamomile-wheat-what-a-way-to-end-a-long-day.191443/
1681232132865.png

I made an easter beer this year. We eastern Slavic Christians have foods and alcohol which we would not have been consuming during Lent in baskets to be blessed after the Easter services.

I made a Trappist-style braggot: shooting for 9% ABV, I used 1:1 amber dme and honey, tettnanger hops for 30 IBUs, and Lalbrew Abbaye. I overshot the OG (it was 1.090) and it I racked to secondary just a weeks before Lent started (SG 1.010). Bottled three weeks before Easter, the beer was incredibly clear, copper-colored and beautiful at 1.005. Final ABV was 11.16%, I think.

It was delicious with lamb on Easter.

Back