"Ripple" Wine including My Favorite Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeVomit

Reaction score
I started selling organic tree fruits at Farmers' Markets in California when I was 14 years old. At the end of each market we'd have what we'd call Juice Boxes of damaged fruit, or fruit that was so ripe (like stone fruits) that they wouldn't survive the return trip home from the market. So we'd often leave a good 50-100 lbs. of nice organic fruits at the curb for homeless or some hobbyist each market day. I got into the habit of keeping a less juicy box and taking it home, myself, for drying and/or cooking. It was cool, but I realized in my later teens that I could be doing something else with all that stuff. So being a good boy, I waited till I was legally allowed to start brewing for myself, and at age 21 went full-tilt into making what my father called "Ripple."

"Ripple" wine, by his definition (I don't know what Wiki says, and I don't really care to find out), is wine that's made with fruit and sugar, both. I usually add enough fruit to make the wine flavourful, but more than enough sugar to eventually kill the yeast with the alcohol content in my brews. I've gotten it down to a "science" if you could call it that (actually, don't bother. It's never that scientific :p ..) where I have brews that are very mildly sweet, but finish with the alcohol percentage as high as it can go. In 4 years I've not made a brew with less than the max alcohol content that the brew will allow.

I've put a simple recipe below for your enjoyment. It happens to be my favorite Ripple wine thus far. Though its geared to have a high alcohol content, the wine is actually very light and cidery tasting when finished. Be careful not to drink too much of this delicious brew!

Apple-Pear "Ripple" Wine:

Per gallon:

2 Lbs. Apples
2 Lbs. Pears
2 Lbs. Sugar
2 Whole Limes (Organic a must!)

Use all organic fruits for best and healthiest quality. Cut up all fruits, remove only the stems. Boil all together in 2 quarts water for 10 minutes. Turn off heat and mix in Sugar (organic is best, again) until dissolved. Strain mix into muslin bag if desired. Add solution to primary fermenter when just warmer than room temp. Top off to 1 gallon with cold water. Add yeast and mix, then add muslin bag. After 1 week, remove bag, squeezing excess liquid out. Pour liquid into secondary fermenter if preferred. Wine will finish in about 2-3 more weeks, in a room temp. (70 F.) environment. Enjoy your ripple wine.

"I like to drink, drink, drink Ipples and Bininis!".. I hope :)

Making 4 gallons of a "kitchen sink" ripple wine now with peeled bananas and chunked up apples, as well as some other ingredients. This is fully an experiment, using pretty much everything that I had available to do an admittedly way-off-the-beaten-track brew. Lets hope it turns out okay (I have faith!) :D

What I used: (100% Organic minus the yeast)

6 Lbs. Peeled Bananas
2 Lbs. Braeburn Apples
1 Lb. Purple Raisins
1 Lb. Sweet Yellow Corn-off-the-cobb
4 Lbs. Raw Sugar
2 Whole Limes
1/4 Lb. Candied Lemon Peel

I boiled together the cut up fruits and the Corn in 4 quarts water. For this batch I'm using a solid cloth cotton bag (sanitized cotton pillow case), since the ingredients are very mushy and/or small pieces. I dissolved the sugar aside in another 4 quarts warm water, and let it all cool before I added it to a gallon of cold water already in my bag-in-bucket. The temperature was a bit on the high side still, so I topped to my 4 gallon level with more lukewarm water then added the yeast and stirred it in. I put the bag in last and the level came up to just under the 5 gallon mark of my bucket. Tied up the bag with the rubber band as my method entails, with plenty of extra bag material for the co2 puff, and stashed it in the corner of my room. Will check in on it in a week to make sure all's well, see if I should remove the bag.

I'm always willing to experiment, since I love just about every wine I've ever made. The only times I haven't enjoyed it was with strawberries. I'm not really a fan of them. But I made Strawberry and Plum wine with Honey, a partial mead, last fall. Everyone else loved it to pieces. I guess I just haven't made anything terrible yet.. but this might be. Oh well, I'm not expecting it to be anything worthwhile, just doing an experiment. :D

Cheers!
~BV

I guess I just haven't made anything terrible yet.. but this might be. Oh well, I'm not expecting it to be anything worthwhile, just doing an experiment. :D

I tasted the mash that had congealed in the cooking pot after posting this.. it tasted pretty dang good. I have even higher hopes now for this brew!

You might wonder why I only put 4 lbs of sugar for 4 gallons of wine? Its because I know bananas (especially organic ones) are packed full of sugars. So are raisins and the corn is a near-pure carbohydrate as well. So I'm thinking the final product will be a light banana/cider flavour with a strong alcohol content, even if its not enough to kill the yeast like my other brews. I do like my rotgut, but sometimes its just a little too much. :)

Back