Ripping DVD's to digital

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not looking to pirate movies, it's just that I want to go all digital and do not want to pay to replace the 100's of DVD's my kids already have.

I have ordered a 1TB drive to put the videos onto but am wondering if there is a trick to ripping the DVD's onto the drive.

Anyone have any advice?

I'm not looking to pirate movies, it's just that I want to go all digital and do not want to pay to replace the 100's of DVD's my kids already have.

I have ordered a 1TB drive to put the videos onto but am wondering if there is a trick to ripping the DVD's onto the drive.

Anyone have any advice?

Pirating aside, you will have to remove DRM from those disks to rip them to digital. You will want to use a ripping program (I use Handbrake), and then find a plugin that work with that ripping program to strip the DRM (In the case of Handbrake, libdvdcss is the plugin to remove DRM).

Some people also recommend image burning software, so you would first convert the DVD to an image file (.iso) then do your rip from that. It is faster, but you are then storing the media twice-over (in a sense). Another advantage is you can rip your media to different formats without having to dig out the DVD again.

I'm content to rip them to .mp4s directly from the DVD and be done with it. .mp4 seems universal enough that it can be handled by my devices.

I hope this helps.

Pirating aside, you will have to remove DRM from those disks to rip them to digital. You will want to use a ripping program (I use Handbrake), and then find a plugin that work with that ripping program to strip the DRM (In the case of Handbrake, libdvdcss is the plugin to remove DRM).

Some people also recommend image burning software, so you would first convert the DVD to an image file (.iso) then do your rip from that. It is faster, but you are then storing the media twice-over (in a sense). Another advantage is you can rip your media to different formats without having to dig out the DVD again.

I'm content to rip them to .mp4s directly from the DVD and be done with it. .mp4 seems universal enough that it can be handled by my devices.

I hope this helps.

It certainly does. I have been reading about Handbrake but wasn't sure about the plugin. So, your MP4 files work OK with Android and Windows? We have a mixed bag of mobile devices and the initial use of this thing will be to keep my kids entertained for a 1,300 mile drive over spring break. There will be iPad's, Android tablets and an Surface Pro with Windows 8 that will all be feeding off of my Seagate Wifi Plus device. I want to start ripping videos tomorrow night so I can get a bunch of them on there before the trip.

Anyone have any advice?

I put my movies on 3 TB drive and play with a media center PC

I use any dvd and clone dvd to make an ISO file to play in a virtual dvd drive on the PC

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

they have all the tools there are many many others, many are free it depends on what you want to do and the format you want them to be in

as far piracy goes I believe if you bought the original disc you are within your right by law to make an archival copy to protect you investment

but your disc are copy protected to make a copy you need to address that fact

then the ISO can be made in to whatever you would like with the right converter

all the best and good luck

S_M

I've used DVD Fab and DVD Decrypter. I've tried a few of this and that over the years, but I haven't ripped much at all in the past few years. Netflix and the sale rack at Walmart have gotten more of my attention. DVDs are generally cheap enough for me to want to buy them if the movie is good enough for me to want to own.

There are plenty of good file types to choose from nowadays and newer devices are very good at playing whatever is thrown at them. MP4 is nice, and MKV is gaining popularity.

If you are not looking to steal the ripping software there are some good choices for relatively cheap stuff as well as the downloadable stuff. IIRC the place I used to download was called doom9.org.

I use DVDFab to rip. I usually just rip to my EHD into a compressed MP4 file that seems to be able to play on all my devices. I can also then convert to a .iso and burn it to a DVD-r so that the kids don't destroy the originals and they still have the freedom to change movies when they want.

Follow up question: does it take a long time to rip a movie with DVDFab? I am told that the newest version of Handbrake can rip a full length motion picture in 15 minutes.

This only matters to me up front, as I plan to buy only digital versions, not DVD's, after I get all of my disks onto the Seagate.

Follow up question: does it take a long time to rip a movie with DVDFab? I am told that the newest version of Handbrake can rip a full length motion picture in 15 minutes.

This only matters to me up front, as I plan to buy only digital versions, not DVD's, after I get all of my disks onto the Seagate.

Only takes about 10-20 minutes to rip a movie. Converting it to .iso and burning it takes a bit longer.

The length of time it takes to rip a movie depends on a few things such as the quality of the video you output and the specification of your computer.

15-20 minutes seems about right for the average computer these days. A Quad-core or better with lots of RAM and a high end GPU might rip a bit faster.

I've used DVD Fab

This turned out to be the most helpful post on the thread. Thank you, homercidal. I tried Handbrake and it turns out I'm just too stupid to use that, apparently, but DVD Fab was as easy as putting the DVD in the drive and selecting the destination folder. Fast, too.

I'm actually checking out Handbrake! Not sure if I will install it or not. I don't really rip movies anymore. But if I decide I need to it's nice to see a full featured open-source option. The only issue I've had with DVDFab was keeping the crack active. For some reason it expires no matter what I do.

I'm actually checking out Handbrake! Not sure if I will install it or not. I don't really rip movies anymore. But if I decide I need to it's nice to see a full featured open-source option. The only issue I've had with DVDFab was keeping the crack active. For some reason it expires no matter what I do.

But when you say "it expires", you just mean the software, right? The files you created do not expire.

If you pay for dvdfab it doesn't expire. I've been using version 9 for a while now. But no matter what you use your files will never expire.

Good to know. I am ripping a bunch of them right now. When my 30 days expires, I may very well pay for the full version. It's so easy to use.

If you pay for dvdfab it doesn't expire. I've been using version 9 for a while now. But no matter what you use your files will never expire.

Yes, I got my copy from a "friend". Some of the features expired after the trial period.

I was using the "rip ISO to video" feature when I was renting DVDs from the local store or Netflix DVD. Since they went streaming I haven't hardly found a need to rip discs.

Yes, I got my copy from a "friend". Some of the features expired after the trial period.

I was using the "rip ISO to video" feature when I was renting DVDs from the local store or Netflix DVD. Since they went streaming I haven't hardly found a need to rip discs.

Is there a way to download a streaming movie onto a hard drive as an MP4? I have all of these Blu Ray discs that came with "digital copies". I only played with it for a minute but I could only get it to stream, not download onto my PC.

Is there a way to download a streaming movie onto a hard drive as an MP4? I have all of these Blu Ray discs that came with "digital copies". I only played with it for a minute but I could only get it to stream, not download onto my PC.

You could use a digital recording device similar to what the pirates use to pirate tv shows. But then you are entering into a realm of gray legality and more hardware.

Handbrake (and maybe other programs?) have Blu-ray support now. Why not rip them from the disk instead of messing with the digital/stream version?

You could use a digital recording device similar to what the pirates use to pirate tv shows. But then you are entering into a realm of gray legality and more hardware.

I'm talking about movies which I have already purchased on Blu Ray. I was just hoping maybe it would be quicker to somehow convert the streaming video (for which I purchased a license) into a MP4 rather than rip the disc to the hard drive.

When it comes to this sort of stuff, I am pretty much a Boy Scout about obeying the laws.

Always some problem... Now I see there is an obnoxious logo on the movies that appears every 2-3 minutes. I was willing to pay to get the full version of DVD Fab but apparently they are not allowing anyone to buy the software right now because of some legal troubles.

Anything else that is comparable?

Devil's advocate here....

for the oceans of time and whatever $, I would get a portable DVD player for the car, sleeves to store dvds and going forward only buy digital media.

Sorry! I went and stored ALL of my CDs to digital only to find that I NEVER listen to them.

Pandora and Grooveshark make physical CDs almost useless, and some legit streaming sites make dvds just as useless, not to mention, these sites offer tons of NEW content that make loading up movies or songs seem like a waste of time.

Devil's advocate here....

for the oceans of time and whatever $, I would get a portable DVD player for the car, sleeves to store dvds and going forward only buy digital media.

Sorry! I went and stored ALL of my CDs to digital only to find that I NEVER listen to them.

Pandora and Grooveshark make physical CDs almost useless, and some legit streaming sites make dvds just as useless, not to mention, these sites offer tons of NEW content that make loading up movies or songs seem like a waste of time.

I am the opposite with the CD's. I did that and love that I did it. I have the portable DVD player but hate it. I want to put all the damn DVD's that the kids are scratching to hell in a box and put them in a storage room and replace them with a wifi hard drive that is not much bigger than a cell phone.

I am the opposite with the CD's. I did that and love that I did it. I have the portable DVD player but hate it. I want to put all the damn DVD's that the kids are scratching to hell in a box and put them in a storage room and replace them with a wifi hard drive that is not much bigger than a cell phone.

I get it.

I just think that "owning" media is becomeing a thing of the past.

When you can stream most anything on demand for little or no cost, it makes "at home" viewing a no brainer, I don't care how small it is, it is bigger than a cloud.

I get the long car ride, and not wanting to use 16 hours of data, but how many movies will they really watch? I bet you will get to the end of this minor ordeal and some new technology will render it almost useless.

Or the kids will be old enough to be on their phones or portable video games, and over a lot of the movies you slaved to convert.

Now when the zombie apocalypse happens, assuming you have a power source, we will all be watching at your place ;)

Yeah, we do streaming, too. But we are campers and getting a good signal for Netflix at the campground, let alone while driving there, is tough. Kids are only allowed to watch movies at night while settling in but they watch them every night. I'm sick if dealing with dozens of CD's all over the place in the RV and car.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

If anyone cares, I ended up downloading AnyDVD and VidCoder (which uses Handbrake as its backbone). AnyDVD was about $85 and VidCoder was free. I am now ripping 3 DVDs at a time (3 different PC's), with an average time of 20 minutes per DVD.

If anyone cares, I ended up downloading AnyDVD and VidCoder (which uses Handbrake as its backbone). AnyDVD was about $85 and VidCoder was free. I am now ripping 3 DVDs at a time (3 different PC's), with an average time of 20 minutes per DVD.

I'm not sure why you paid for something that was open-source to start with (hand-brake); but I'm glad you are up and running!

I'm talking about movies which I have already purchased on Blu Ray. I was just hoping maybe it would be quicker to somehow convert the streaming video (for which I purchased a license) into a MP4 rather than rip the disc to the hard drive.

When it comes to this sort of stuff, I am pretty much a Boy Scout about obeying the laws.

I know this is a little back, but the video capture versions needed to record a streaming movie actually act more like a video camera in a movie theater. It will take as long as the video is playing so the quickest ways are something along the lines of DVDFab and AnyDVD. or the handbrake with dll file route with physical media.

I also have digitized all my movies. It is really nice to have a remote controlled on demand movie collection. The only thing that stinks is how much HDD space I am taking up.

I'm not sure why you paid for something that was open-source to start with (hand-brake); but I'm glad you are up and running!

I did not pay for Handbrake. I downloaded VidCoder for free, which uses Handbrake as its backbone. I paid for AnyDVD which removes the security features of many commercial DVD's.

I did not pay for Handbrake. I downloaded VidCoder for free, which uses Handbrake as its backbone. I paid for AnyDVD which removes the security features of many commercial DVD's.

Right, but it you just went with Handbrake, you plugin to strip DRM is also free; which is what I think you are going after by buying AnyDVD.

but the nice thing is drives are getting cheap I picked up a 3 TB drive for 99 dollars to the door not long ago

10 years ago that would have been thousands of dollars of drive space

all the best

S_M

I have 3 - 2TB drives. 2 of which are full to the top and the other is halfway there. I may just have a problem. Do not get me started on my music collection.

Handbrake and the plugin are legit, but I can appreciate going the route you chose for ease of use. The virus issue doesn't have anything to do with either of those things inherently, but maybe the source you downloaded from wasn't on the up-and-up, not sure.

Handbrake and the plugin are legit, but I can appreciate going the route you chose for ease of use. The virus issue doesn't have anything to do with either of those things inherently, but maybe the source you downloaded from wasn't on the up-and-up, not sure.

Legit was probably the wrong word. I wanted dummy proof from a reputable vendor.

The beauty of the virus issue is that I decided to do all of this through my old laptop. As soon as I saw I was infected, I just wiped that sucker clean with a windows re-install. Now it's running fast as hell.

Initially I was using AnyDVD, but have switched to MakeMKV (http://www.makemkv.com/) to rip my movies to my server. The MKV file plays on my Popcorn Hour and takes up less drive space. I also only burn the main feature, one audio file and English language file, which also saves on drive space.

Been happy with it so far.

Back