Ripping DVD's to digital

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a tough one.

I just took the leap to Roku. I stream Netflix. But I love my DVR. I hate commercials & I can fast forward a football game down to nuthin. Am I stuck?

I just refuse to keep spending $$$$$ every month to watch 4 channels.

So, is there an answer for cheap bastids like me & FF? Any solutions out there?

Here's a tough one.

I just took the leap to Roku. I stream Netflix. But I love my DVR. I hate commercials & I can fast forward a football game down to nuthin. Am I stuck?

OTA antenna for local HD signals. Depending on where you live, you may be no channels or quite a few.

If you are a Tennessee fan living in Washington, you might be screwed on the football thing, though

Here's a tough one.

roku is awesome!

It lacks on Sports and some "this season" shows.

I have gone back to cable to supplement the roku for sports, TWD, Breaking Bad, etc.

Roku was fine, but I was going to bars to watch games and paying 1.99 per episode of lates shows and ended up paying $50-$60/month anyways.

If you can stay 1 season behind, like I have done on Falling Skies, you can get all the tv and movies you will ever need for free or for the price of Netflix/Amazon Prime.

Sports are different.

Frontrowsports.com is a game changer if you don't mind watching games on your computer.

roku is awesome!

Frontrowsports.com is a game changer if you don't mind watching games on your computer.

It would be interested to know if the new "Flinging" technology with Roku, Chromecast would allow you to take a website like this and put it up on your TV. Anybody know?

Not sure about flinging. It sounds like Playon, or the roku remote app, where your wireless network connects devices wirelessly.

You can hardwire a computer to most new Tv's, essentially using it as a monitor. A wireless keyboard and mouse make that nice.

Roku requires playon and a cable subscription for ESPN3 to work. Complete bull sh*t in my opinion. You have to have cable to watch the online viewing......hope frontrow puts ESPN out of business.

Not sure about flinging. It sounds like Playon, or the roku remote app, where your wireless network connects devices wirelessly.

You can hardwire a computer to most new Tv's, essentially using it as a monitor. A wireless keyboard and mouse make that nice.

Roku requires playon and a cable subscription for ESPN3 to work. Complete bull sh*t in my opinion. You have to have cable to watch the online viewing......hope frontrow puts ESPN out of business.

Yes, very similar to playon's "casting" ability. I'm under the impression the new roku as well as chromecast have this ability built into them.

BassPro from another site:

I recently went through this. At the moment I'm running 3 Roku's with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, and still have cable with a DVR. I'll cancel cable as soon as I've caught up on shows I've already recorded. I was initially going to install an HD tuner and record shows to my PC and use that as a DVR, but I just found out that Aereo is available in my area. I've been using it for a month now, and it's pretty cool. It's a streaming service for local channels.

Basically, they have a building that receives the local channels through the air, and then they stream those channels to you. You can record up to 2 channels at once. They store those recordings at their location, and stream them to you on-demand when you want to watch them. Or you can watch live tv. It's pretty cool and reasonably priced, and was that last piece of the puzzle I needed to cut cable. The issue is it's not available in all areas. Although you could probably lie and claim you are live in a city they support. You'll still get network broadcasts, but you won't get your local news or weather.

Now Me!

I read that too. Aereo is coming! That seems to have met the needs of the community. I love the INTERNET, just read all about the lawsuits! Build a better mouse trap & all that. I'm just curious to see the cost per month when it comes to California. The hack that's available today may be my only choice for now.

I haven't cut the cord yet, but soon......................... oh so soon! $89 a month for as little TV as I watch. Ridiculous. I'll go to my local sports bar for football & have more fun doing it. The DVR thing is coming. In the mean time........................................................................................

I'll test out this Roku & see exactly what I get. Oh, I wanna cut the cord, I wanna cut the cord!

Ebay even has the Roku new for $83. I may even watch football on my computer to save a buck or two!

Now there're some guys that even pirate popular shows like Walking Dead & Game of Thrones. Download, convert, burn just to save $15 or $30 a month. Cheap bastids.

If it's free, it's for me.

Thanks Guys!

roku is awesome!

It lacks on Sports and some "this season" shows.

I have gone back to cable to supplement the roku for sports, TWD, Breaking Bad, etc.

Roku was fine, but I was going to bars to watch games and paying 1.99 per episode of lates shows and ended up paying $50-$60/month anyways.

If you can stay 1 season behind, like I have done on Falling Skies, you can get all the tv and movies you will ever need for free or for the price of Netflix/Amazon Prime.

Sports are different.

:rockin: I just installed Roku.

For as much as I watch TV, this little box has more than I can ever use! And it's getting better every day. At most a show will have 1 commercial, I can live with that. My wife on the other hand, watches the Food Network, etc.

I'll have a good excuse to visit the sports bar! :mug:

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36452

Saving $1000 a year is right up my alley. :ban: I can't wait to hear the sound of their voice when I cancel.

I just cut the cord. After 3 call backs it's done. They were throwing everything at me, a $200 VISA, Free NFL Ticket, Discounted my monthly bill by $25. He was so upset when I just kept saying no. It was priceless. You know you're on to something grand when you can hear desperation in their voice.

So I'll pick up Hulu-Plus for $7.99 a month for her shows. I already have Netflix. Put a homemade antenna up for local channels & sports when I don't go to the bar.

Thank you.

Back