Ripped grain bag arrived in shipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyHills

Reaction score
So I ordered two all grain kits from Northern Brewer, Kama citra and their nut brown ale. I'm super excited to brew these as they both sound delicious.. (especially that brown ale mmm)...

Anyways, I received the package today, everything seemed fine up until I started inspecting the grains. Thankfully the guys at Northern Brewer double bagged them, because I noticed that the Kama citra grains had a tear on the inner, sealed, bag, leaking grains into the outer, unsealed bag. Doesn't really sound like a good thing to me.. Looking for some input here from you guys though.

No idea how long they were exposed to the open air during shipment. I'm a bit concerned, should I contact Northern Brewer and try to get a new sack of grains delivered? I'm not sure if they could go stale or anything in that amount of time.

Thanks guys :)

Honestly, you are most likely fine using the grain as is. I can understand if you just don't trust them but a few days isn't enough to do damage.

I just saw they are unmilled grains. You're good.

That being said, Northern Brewer probably would reship fresh grains if you called to complain.

Basically you're good if you do and good if you don't.

It's fine. Those grains spent their entire "life" on the end of a grass stalk exposed to the weather as well as any insect that wanted to crawl on it or any bird flying over that could defecate on it. They are in their own protective cover that we call the husk. I would use them even if both bags were torn and I had to salvage them from the box they shipped in.

Thanks guys that definitely cleared things up I think I'll keep a solid relationship with NB and use the grains as is. No need to complain if you all say it's fine. I'm sure if they were milled it would be a much different story.. then I most likely would've complained!

Thanks once again, love this forum haha.

Latest posts

Back