RIMS Tube Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibrew2little

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm struggling to find any stores around my area that sell the products for me to build my own RIMS tube. My best bet so far is to sodder a bunch of lead free brass parts together an hope for the best. Are there any companies that don't charge a arm and a leg for a tube that are also decent quality. Did some looking and couldn't find much. Thanks much!

Nick

See brewhardware.com
Bobbym is a member here and great to do business with

See brewhardware.com
Bobbym is a member here and great to do business with

Ditto.

I bought all original RIMS tube hardware off of Amazon before I discovered Homebrew Talk & brewhardware and it is still serving me well, but since then I have really come to admire Bobby's design with its triclover fittings. His is a sleek design which allows complete disassembly. With mine, I have to trust PBW to do a good job of cleaning since it does not come apart. I am using his triclover hardware for my BK and HLT heater elements, and it would be nice to be using them for the RIMS tube, too. Maybe someday.

As nice as it is.... I am trying to find something cheaper than a $170 to my door.

I would look second hand then...
They come up periodicly in the classifieds

ditto... I used 1"stainless pipe fittings and a 1" camlock fitting to give easy access to pull it apart for cleaning. I also use a long stainless cartridge heater instead of a hot water tank heater which makes mine easier to clean if needed (So far I have zero buildup on the element from brewing)

search "dirt cheap rims" in the diy section and you will find some ideas from others as well as pics of mine.
they can be build for as little as $50 like my first copper rims cost me.

>> You can get some stainless pipe and fittings for cheap.

+1 for stainless and fittings if you're going th DIY route. I bot mine from Midland Supply (iirc) on ebay. I still think you'll be in it for $100 and you'll have to dick around with the element enclosure. The tube bobbym had really cant be beat for the price.

This one:

rimzooka_small.jpg

Ran be about $80 in parts and lots of frustration, multiple trips to Lowes/Depot. Wouldn't do it again. That's and it's a PITA to clean. Obviously this doesn't show the element guard which is an absolute requirement.

Last edited:
>> You can get some stainless pipe and fittings for cheap.

+1 for stainless and fittings if you're going th DIY route. I bot mine from Midland Supply (iirc) on ebay. I still think you'll be in it for $100 and you'll have to dick around with the element enclosure. The tube bobbym had really cant be beat for the price.

This one:

rimzooka_small.jpg

Ran be about $80 in parts and lots of frustration, multiple trips to Lowes/Depot. Wouldn't do it again. That's and it's a PITA to clean. Obviously this doesn't show the element guard which is an absolute requirement.
Spending $15 on a 1" stainless cam lock fitting on the main body will make that assy pull apart for cleaning in seconds...
Why all the trips to the store? All you need is Teflon rape and 2 pipe wrenches?

If nothing else, I'd suggest at least buying the element enclosure from Bobby. Safe and easy. Well worth the twenty bucks. Except for that and the thermowell/thermometer, mine was made from stuff I already had.

RIMS Tube.jpg

>> Why all the trips to the store?

Why to get out of working on the honey-do list. Why else?? In all seriousness the pic I posted was very fast and simple. Potting the element was trickier and maybe took two trips to Lowes. What I really need to do is replace the 2"x1" bushing into which the element screws w/ a triclamp adapter. Problem is the stainless is galled and I cant get it apart. :-(

Spending $15 on a 1" stainless cam lock fitting on the main body will make that assy pull apart for cleaning in seconds...

What's this magic you speak of? Sounds like I could use that, got a link to the part? I'm having trouble picturing what you mean exactly.

OP, for the record my tube is cast stainless from amazon, probably under $100 after including disconnect fittings and thermowells and junk. I'm perfectly happy with it.

What's this magic you speak of? Sounds like I could use that, got a link to the part? I'm having trouble picturing what you mean exactly.

OP, for the record my tube is cast stainless from amazon, probably under $100 after including disconnect fittings and thermowells and junk. I'm perfectly happy with it.

Pics of my setup... Notice the 1" stainless camlock for dis-assembly ... got it on ebay.

IMG_20150616_080835_828.jpg

IMG_20150616_080824_598.jpg

IMG_20150616_202140_576.jpg

IMG_20150616_081043_262.jpg

I like the above options the best, but I had some 2" copper pipe in stock so used that. That size copper can be expensive, especially anything like a Tee, so I just drilled holes and soldered in fittings. In the pic, I added the clamp by using #4 copper wire flattened and soldered onto the edges. Since, I've added one more clamp to clean easier at the temp sensor end and bought some stainless ferrules and soldered them on to copper - much easier and better. I only say all this in case someone has some largish copper around. Otherwise, go with previous suggestions. I really like augiedoggy's.

Oh, and I made a cover for the element end by using some ABS pipe fittings and soldered on a lug for the ground wire.

rims-65878.jpg

^^ thanks^

I used regular 3/4" copper piping for my first rims with a 1/2"" diameter 1000w cartridge heater and it worked well besides a design flaw allowing a narrow dead space at the base of the element which caused scorching. using a 3/8" diameter element would have worked better.
Again, the "dirt cheap rims" thread really has some good ideas and pics for anyone willing to use the search feature..

Back