Rims control box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went with the syl-2352. I bought it before I read your recommendation. Element I wanted to run 240v but a lower wattage element. I have a 25A SSR and I didn't think I'd need that much power in the tube. The connection I wanted to use is from brewers hardware in Huntington Beach CA, for the element, it's a TC fitting. I think I was going to go with 3 wire into 4 wire via spa panel otherwise I'd have to run a nuetral wire from the breaker in my wall to the outlet. On the bottom of the box I was going to put a standard 120v power outlet (double) unless you advise against using both in that set up. Also a plug for the element and a main power entry point.

Thanks for the information on the LED's

Last edited:
Remember that visual indicators are tools to help convey information about your system when its working properly and also when there is a malfunction.

You can put LED indicators on either the control side or load side of a relay, but I suggest putting them across the load you are switching with the relay.

That way, if an SSR or relay fails in the closed state, the LED will let you know that has happened, (hopefully before something boils over or an element dry fires).

If the LED is just monitoring the control side of a relay, you might not realize the SSR has failed

Exactly.

Brew on :mug:

It's been a little while since had an update. So this is what I have thus far.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Side profile. I still need to add another layer a paint drill the holes for power supply coming in and for the heating element plug.

image.jpg

This should be close to what you are looking for. Element power enable switch/contactor is interlocked by the pump switch, so that element can't be powered unless the pump switch is on. (It's up to you to remember to plug in the pump. :D)

SYL-2352 1-Pump RIMS 240V.jpg

Brew on :mug:

I know this is getting old but just wanted to show the finished (some what) product. So far all testing is okay and both my GFCI breakers are working. It did trip my spa panel once but nothing was connected to it. Anyways here's the pictures

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

I owe it all to you Doug. Thanks for all your help. I couldn't have done it without you're explanations.

As well as everyone else that on this thread that chipped in. Thank you all.

Back