Rigid brewbag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
I just got a new Brew Bag from brewinabag.com to replace an older and I’ve noticed the new one is very stiff, to the point it’s hard to work with. I don’t recall my older one ever being this rigid, so I’m wondering if they are doing something different, or if there is something I can do to make it looser. I really wouldn’t care, but I noticed in my brew day yesterday that it was staying folded at some of the seems and contracting the grain bed

I've been using a brew bag for 5 years or so and haven't had this kind of problem even when new. I recently received a larger one and it is not at all rigid like you mention. I would contact the manufacturer, describe the problem and send a picture to see if he thinks it's out of the ordinary. Chances are he will replace it.

Did you get the 400 micron recommended for recirculating? I believe there standard fabric bag is 210 micron and is more pliable and feels more like fabric. I got a new 400 micron bag and it can pretty much stand up on its own. I haven’t had any issues really with mine. The lid certainly doesn’t fit as tight during the mash but hasn’t caused any issues.

Did you get the 400 micron recommended for recirculating? I believe there standard fabric bag is 210 micron and is more pliable and feels more like fabric. I got a new 400 micron bag and it can pretty much stand up on its own. I haven’t had any issues really with mine. The lid certainly doesn’t fit as tight during the mash but hasn’t caused any issues.

Yeah, I just got the 400 micron and the material is quite a bit stiffer than the one I used for my cooler mash tun. I wanted to recirculate, so I went with the 400 micron. I'll post back when I get a chance to use it (hoping in the next couple weeks).

Back