Review: 16 Mile Old Court Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madman

Reaction score
16 Mile Brewing Company is one of two recent additions to the Delaware brewing scene, the other being Evolution. The first difference that is immediately noticeable between the two is the bottling. Evolution has plain-ass brown bottles with two-color labels while 16 Mile has these awesome aluminum bottles with very classy graphics. Thus ends the good things that I will say about 16 Mile in this review.

When pouring Old Court Ale, the first thing you will notice is the almost complete lack of head on the beer, unless you pour like a retard just dumping it into the glass. What little head you will see looks a lot like the head of a Pepsi, giant bubbles that completely mismatch the deep red-brown of the ale. Of course, you would have to make this observation quickly, as the bubbles disappeared faster than a Cuban hearing the cry of "I.N.S.!!!" Luckily, they re-emerge on the first sip, bringing again to mind the essence of mass-produced soft drinks.

Racism aside, the beer has a very potent floral/caramel scent, which is fairly pleasant until you actually drink it and that scent is obliterated by the heavy maple forward of the ale. It brought visions of cold Maine mornings, tall maple forests kissed by the golden light of dawn, and large buckets of golden maple sap... being forcibly dumped down my throat. With a funnel. Wrapped in barbed wire. The back end of the ale is equally heavy, but with regret.

If you want to spend $6 for a fairly spiffy aluminum bottle, then by all means buy this beer. However, I strongly suggest either dumping the contents down the drain, or alternatively serving it to guests whom you never care to see again.

I have not, but am willing to try it to find out if they release something that's worth the premium price.

Back