Rev. Nat's apple market (2nd year)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theinterneti

Reaction score
I swung by Rev. Nat's apple market again this Saturday...
http://reverendnatshardcider.com/news/apple-market-2019/

Barely made it, 5 minutes left. Nat was kind enough to (personally) fill 2 5 gal. corny kegs for me. After asking if I was fermenting in the keg (no) he filled them to the TOP, juice came out when I put the lid on! We loaded up the kegs and returned to the tap room for a cider. I had "The passion" - a little sour for my tastes, my helper went for the obvious choice, "sacrilege" sour cherry. If you haven't tried the sour cherry, do, just do.

I racked the juice into two 6 gal. carboys at home. Swirled those around a bit to aerate and pitched. No added sugars.

#1 - Newtown pippin, WLP 775
#2 - Nat's blend, Cote de blanc

Leaving some headspace, there was about a half-gallon of juice left over. I combined that, and it tasted AMAZING on it's own so we enjoyed a round of straight juice. Like kids! :smh: We then used the rest to back sweeten my basic cider (US 04, tree top, black tea, dry) in the glass. Just 10-20% of that juice gave my basic cider a real sweet-apple punch and some noticeable complexity. So good! A nice change of pace from my clean, dry, champagne like basic stuff.

They are bubbling away now. On the floor at 69F. First time I've used 775 and the reports of sulfur smell are real, but I'm not worried. I left out my customary black tea, figured that these cider juices may not need it.

Really wanna make it out to the West Coast to the Rev's joint -- have heard great things!

Cheers & keep us posted [emoji111]

Thanks for report. Sounds like a cool event. I live just a few miles away but was out of town.

Theinterneti- any interest in a few gallons of bitter juice?
I may have overdone it this year and have extra gallons of frozen juice. I’ll have to check but I should have extra chisel jersey and porters perfection. I’ll only charge for cost of apples. Let me know.

Thanks for report. Sounds like a cool event. I live just a few miles away but was out of town.

I may have overdone it this year and have extra gallons of frozen juice. I’ll have to check but I should have extra chisel jersey and porters perfection. I’ll only charge for cost of apples. Let me know.

That sounds like a most generous offer! Yes, I'm interested. Maybe 2-4 gallons worth? I assume i would use 1-2 gallons per 5 gallon batch. Hopefully you are out of town on the west side though! Sending an IM.

Really wanna make it out to the West Coast to the Rev's joint -- have heard great things!

Cheers & keep us posted [emoji111]

Both times I've been there, Nat was on the ground pumping juice. He doesn't seem like some highfalutin' owner type. That goes a long way with me.

I did a major facepalm when I got home and realized I hadn't taken pictures this year either! Apologies for that. Goal next year, get some pics with my cider.

Put this on my calendar for next year... I'm in Seattle so not quite local but looks like it's worth the trip. Would love to know how this turns out. I really like the Revival.

I'd love to get a gallon, or more, if you have it! I'll PM you...

Wish I knew about the Nat event... I'm always in search of fresh pressed cider to stir up my FAJC cider!! How much does he charge for it?

Latest posts

Back