Reusing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drat

Reaction score
So, I've already washed and stored some wlp004 from a brew I completed back in March. I've always just bought a new tube of yeast each time I've brewed. Any suggestions on how to go about using this stored yeast in my next brew? I'm looking for all types of answers on this - how much to use, how viable.... Etc.

Well,you did wash the trub out of it,right? The amount of yeast left in one jar should be enough to make a starter with. 1L,or 1000mL in an erlynmeyer flask covered in tin foil is what I do. About 1/4C of plain extra light DME in a liter of boiled water. mix in the dme,cover & allow to cool to pitch temp in some ice water. When it's down to about 70F,pitch the yeast & leave it covered for a couple days. I posted an article on "easy yeast Washing" that touches on this.

Not to shut down this unique and novel topic, but I'd suggest going to the "yeast" sub-forum and looking at the myriad of stickied threads that outline yeast washing/harvesting procedures in tremendous detail. And try the search feature.

Back