Reusing slurry from dry-hopped IPA. Bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a big IIPA soon, 1.081, 100IBU, and my original plan was to reuse the appropriate amount of Pacman slurry I'll be harvesting from a 1.057, 80IBU IPA that I'm bottling this week.

However I've been reading about hop oils "sticking," or "coating" yeast cells, and this IPA I'll be harvesting slurry from has 2oz of dry hops sitting in it for 10 days.

Do you guys think I will be setting myself up for problems with a big beer like this? Or can I just pitch more slurry than is needed? Or do I need to start over with a fresh yeast starter?

Did you dry hop in the primary or use a secondary? Sounds like you used the primary. Either way, I'd make a good starter. I just made a 1qt starter from a 1.065 IPA and used it in a 1.093 and it's still bangin 6 days later. Next time I'd consider a secondary for the dry hop.

Did you dry hop in the primary or use a secondary? Sounds like you used the primary. Either way, I'd make a good starter. I just made a 1qt starter from a 1.065 IPA and used it in a 1.093 and it's still bangin 6 days later. Next time I'd consider a secondary for the dry hop.

Yeah I've always dry-hopped in the primary. Wondering if that's a bad practice now. I was hoping to avoid using a starter by pitching the recommended amount of fresh slurry.

Thanks for the response.

Back