Reusing glass bottles - how can I figure threads for replacement caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonemonkey

Reaction score
Hey there folks! I want to get into brewing my own kombucha and I'm trying to cut down on costs a bit. I've seen on videos and read here and there about people reusing glass store-bought bucha bottles, but I'd personally want to get a better replacement cap made for resuing.

How do I figure out the thread size and such for ordering the correct caps?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_160702.jpg
    IMG_20220123_160702.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220123_160714.jpg
    IMG_20220123_160714.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Definitely bigger than pop bottle necks. Have you tried a growler cap? If that works, you can find those online.
I haven't tried anything yet. I switched thinking from buying new bottles to reusing store bought ones only today. These bottles look just like the ones for GT kombucha, so I'll bet I could use those kind of caps. I'll have to buy a bottle of that buch and see if they fit on these.

Thanks!

I hope this response doesn't run afoul of any forum rules

I happen to have some bottles with swing top lids available (I used to make homemade cider before our son was born, but now just don't have the time). I have 24 unused blue 500 ml EZ Cap bottles with swing top lids, plus 114 Grolsch bottles, 19 clear 750 ml bottles with swing top lids, and as many 750 glass Pellegrino bottles (with caps) as you want. I know that Homebrewing.org sells 12 of the blue bottles for $40 (16oz Cobalt Blue EZ Cap Swing Top Bottles - Case of 12 Bottles), so that alone would cost $80. I'm willing to sell all of the swing top bottles for $75 (that’s less than 50 cents/bottle). I live in the Kingstowne area.

IMG_8559.jpg
IMG_8560.PNG

I hope this response doesn't run afoul of any forum rules

I happen to have some bottles with swing top lids available (I used to make homemade cider before our son was born, but now just don't have the time). I have 24 unused blue 500 ml EZ Cap bottles with swing top lids, plus 114 Grolsch bottles, 19 clear 750 ml bottles with swing top lids, and as many 750 glass Pellegrino bottles (with caps) as you want. I know that Homebrewing.org sells 12 of the blue bottles for $40 (16oz Cobalt Blue EZ Cap Swing Top Bottles - Case of 12 Bottles), so that alone would cost $80. I'm willing to sell all of the swing top bottles for $75 (that’s less than 50 cents/bottle). I live in the Kingstowne area.

James, you should start a thread in the For Sale section with this ad. More people will see it.

Use crown cap bottles.
12oz are the best.
Get a bench capper.
If you want to reseal to place in the fridge, silicone tops are sold.

Hey there folks! I want to get into brewing my own kombucha and I'm trying to cut down on costs a bit. I've seen on videos and read here and there about people reusing glass store-bought bucha bottles, but I'd personally want to get a better replacement cap made for resuing.

How do I figure out the thread size and such for ordering the correct caps?

Thanks!
Here's how to measure cap size, there are other sizes though besides the common ones at the link. (Like the PCO 1881 threads that are a pain to find fittings for!) Looks like you have a 415 thread and then you would need the diameter, like 38 mm for instance. So maybe 38-415 and try a plastics company. You'll get the caps for pennies but have to pay shipping usually. I think you might want to consider lined caps but I am not exactly sure if that is necessary.

415 may not be the correct size however. Here's another link. You may have a 425. Your bottle may not have the overall height like the 415 and the threads may be narrow. You have two full turns though to the threads.

415 may not be the correct size however. Here's another link. You may have a 425. Your bottle may not have the overall height like the 415 and the threads may be narrow. You have two full turns though to the threads.
Thanks for the info!

Where I'm at with the cap hunt is that I'm going to swing by a store and see if I can pick up a bottle of GT Synergy kombucha. I've found a number of suppliers for caps that fit those bottles, so if the cap off the GT bottle fits the bottles I'm wanting to use I'm set.

I bought a GT Synergy pineapple kombucha today (not my favorite flavor, it turns out) and the cap fits on the Costco Kirkland brand kombucha bottles just fine. I tested it by coloring the top edge of Kirkland bottle with a water-based ink pen and there was a colored ring inside the GT cap showing that when the cap was snug there was a good seal made. Because of this I can use and reuse these caps:

polycone caps

Here is a thought for you, If you want to stay with plastic bottles, take a look at reusing 1 and 2 liter soda pop plastic bottles? I have used these for years and years with no problem. I have bottle conditioned in them, again with no problem. They will withstand more pressure than glass, They are free for the taking. Just a thought, Good Luck Cheers

Here is a thought for you, If you want to stay with plastic bottles, take a look at reusing 1 and 2 liter soda pop plastic bottles? I have used these for years and years with no problem. I have bottle conditioned in them, again with no problem. They will withstand more pressure than glass, They are free for the taking. Just a thought, Good Luck Cheers
These are actually glass bottles, but the threads are like the ones on plastic bottles.

Back