Reusing Budweiser - A theoretical exercise in foolishness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Visiting a friend last night who as gifted a 24-pack of Budweiser. He asked me if I wanted it, and I told him no (as my fridge is full of delightful homebrew).

Thinking about what to do with it, I started to wonder if you could boil it down and use it as a base to make another beer? (Obviously adding in new fermentables as well).

It would almost certainly not be worth the effort, and would be a far inferior option to just boiling fresh grains (likely just resulting in a lot of staleness and off flavors).

But in theory, could this (or any not great beer) simply be boiled down and used as an ingredient for a new batch? (To be clear, I'm NOT doing this. Just curious about the theoretical exercise).

I think you'd have huge problems with staling and oxygenation. The boil would drive off any dissolved oxygen, but it can't fix the oxidation that will already have occurred in the beer. That's always gonna be there, and I assume would become even more obvious over time.

In terms of fermentable sugars, do you envision adding in table sugar or actually mashing in the beer? Mashing would be really tough, I'd think, because the ph could get very wonky.

I assume it would make absolutely horrible beer, but interesting to think about why!

i'd personally prove my love for homemade, and split it with them, just to prove. i can drink my homebrew, and laugh at it trying to temp me sitting in the drawers BELOW my kegs...

but if you want to use it for something to drink, i'd run it through one of these...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1544795043...466798141b93c52bf2bc|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524
and make a fortiefied beer, something light, but rich....like a real lager, with lot's of subtle smooth lagery barley flavor....

Visiting a friend last night who as gifted a 24-pack of Budweiser. He asked me if I wanted it, and I told him no (as my fridge is full of delightful homebrew).

Thinking about what to do with it, I started to wonder if you could boil it down and use it as a base to make another beer? (Obviously adding in new fermentables as well).

It would almost certainly not be worth the effort, and would be a far inferior option to just boiling fresh grains (likely just resulting in a lot of staleness and off flavors).

But in theory, could this (or any not great beer) simply be boiled down and used as an ingredient for a new batch? (To be clear, I'm NOT doing this. Just curious about the theoretical exercise).

4 words:

BEER BATTER
BEER BRATS!

Then you'll have food to enjoy with your homebrew!

EDIT: @MaxStout and @bracconiere beat me to the punch... I didn't read the whole thread lol

Recycle it...

Men's Room.jpg

Give that pack to someone who appreciates it.
Or the guy standing in the median with a piece of cardboard. You'll make his day and then some!
Or drop, it off under his bridge...

Stick to your own homebrew and craft beer.

Give that pack to someone who appreciates it.
Or the guy standing in the median with a piece of cardboard. You'll make his day and then some!

Stick to your own homebrew and craft beer.

Ha. That was my friend's actual plan. We then briefly debated whether it was fair to automatically suspect the person may have substance abuse issues. I told him if he did that, he would at least have to refrigerate the beer first.

The boiling point of alcohol is lower than the boiling point of water. So the alcohol in the Budweiser would be the first thing driven off. Then you would just be left with boiled non-alcoholic beer that has no fermentables in it to do anything with. Really no point.

Back