reuseing yeast.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99expo

Reaction score
so I have been reading about washing yeast and just dumping a new batch right on top of a yeast cake after racking. so I was wondering can I just rack and leave the yeast cake in the fermenter for a few days then brew a new batch and dump on top.
I'm just really lazy and busy lately and don't want to learn how to wash yeast when i'm not really paying attention.

any help or time frame would be great:mug:

If you leave some beer on top of it will be okay, not great. It woudl be better to take it out and put in in a sanatized jar for a few days. If you are going to take it out I would split it in half or third. you really do not need all that yeast to pitch.

Just so you know. Before I started washing yeast i would just slit the slurry up into 3 or 4 jars. I know it would last up to 2 months. I would put it in a starter and it was good to go.

after two months you're gonna be at like 20% of what you started at when you placed the yeast in there. A starter is definitely recommended after that long. Id do a pint sized batch and let it go for ~2 days.

Back