Returning beer after checking FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myersff

Reaction score
Question for all those out there, after you check the gravity of your beer do you return your beer back into the fermentor, drink it, or dump it? I have a beer/wine thief that I plan on using and will santize it before I stick it in the beer along with the hydrometer.

Thanks

I always drink it. It's a good way to see how your beer is coming along. That said, I usually leave my beer alone for two weeks in primary and only take a sample to get finished gravity when I'm kegging it. Very, very rarely is it not finished and ready to go.

Drink it or dump it. It is a small chance you will infect the beer by returning the sample but in my mind that is too big a risk to take.

I usually only take 2 samples. One for OG and one for FG. I trust the FG at 3 weeks fermenting unless it is far from predicted.

Like Jon said. Let it go for at least two weeks and then check it, I usually primary for three weeks and then package unless it's OG was above 1.050 and then I'll check the gravity after three weeks to see if I need to let it come down a few points. No sense in risking a possible contamination when you don't have to.

Back