Resusing yeast - can you use the blowoff jar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_gunslinger

Reaction score
I had had some great fermentations of late. Last one left this blowoff bounty. Pretty sure thats mainly yeast cake. I guess infection might be an issue. But sure doesn look good!

blowoff.jpg

No lid leaves some opportunity for contamination. You would be taking a chance using that yeast again. It’s probably fine. A lot of things in home brewing are about mitigating risk. It cannot be eliminated. Each of us have to make up our own minds about how much risk we are willing to take. Those with different tolerances for risk often think poorly about those with a higher or lower tolerance than themselves and speak disparagingly of them. Kind of a metaphor for the world we live in today.

Its a belgian ale yeast, not something I will use again soon so I can let it go. But I will start using that Burton capture method for times I want to reuse the yeats soon. Thanks!

Back