Restrictions on mailing beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
What restrictions exist on mailing beer? My sister mailed me a package from Alaska and was written on the package, repackaged at Seattle. I didn't think anything of it and thanked my sister. She asked what I thought of the beer. "Beer? What beer?" She said it was a lot of beer with emphasis on the lot, which based off of previous packages I would guess means 10+ 22 oz bottles. Did we break any postal regs or did we just get screwed?

yeah it's is not exactly legal to ship beer... I assume she sent it USPS. I always send Fed EX.

From the USPS page on restrictions:

2 Intoxicating Liquors
421 Definition

Intoxicating liquors are drinkable beverages that have 0.5 percent or more alcoholic content by weight and are taxable under chapter 51 of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Code.

I use UPS pack the $hit out of it and mark the bottles "yeast samples". I have never has a problem.

Fedex does not spell out beer this is what I could find:

Wine: We cannot ship wine to consumers in the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, or Utah. For Alaska, special rules apply, deliveries are limited to the Anchorage, Juneau, Fairbanks, Ketchikan, Kodiak, Sitka, and Valdez areas only via FedEx Express. Anchorage, Juneau, Fairbanks, Ketchikan, and Kodiak areas only via FedEx Ground. Please see FedEx's preferred wine shipping guide / pdf. Consumers may not ship wine to other consumers using FedEx. All Wine & Alcohol must be specifically marked and tagged. All packages required Adult Signature upon delivery. FedEx cannot deliver wine to any location where there is only a minor present or if the adult signing for the package appears to be intoxicated.

UPS:

Who Can Ship Wine
Who can ship wine via UPS services?

UPS only accepts packages containing wine from shippers who are licensed under applicable law and who have signed and entered into a contract with UPS for the transportation of wine.

Note: UPS provides service for other alcoholic beverages (beer and alcohol) on a contract basis only. For shipments containing beer or alcohol, shippers must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of beer or alcohol as applicable, must be licensed and authorized under applicable law to ship beer and alcohol, and may ship only to licensed consignees. UPS does not accept shipments of beer or alcohol for delivery to consumers. UPS accepts shipments of beer or alcohol only among and between selected states.

Back