Resinous hop flavor... how to?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockomania

Reaction score
OK, some of my fave IPAs like Drakes Aroma Coma, Heretic Evil Cousin, Highwater Brewing No Boundaries, etc... have a super in your face resinous hop flavor and over the top fresh aroma. The resinous quality in these 3 IPAs is very similar and there is obviously a technique to getting it... what the heck is it?

IF you have not had one of these fine ales, do yourself a favor and find them immediately when they come back next year. You can get Heretic Evil Cousin year 'round it seems, but the other two are seasonal and bay area only it seems. I love living in california sometimes :)

Isn't this more a quality of the type of hop? Resinous makes me think Simcoe or Chinook.

Definitely will keep your recommendation in mind if I see these around.

No, I think it's something more significant. I use chinook and simcoe in every IPA pretty much and I never get anything resembling this flavor. Maybe hop extract later in the boil?

MOAR HOPZZ.

I think that is probably key, using progressively larger quantities in your hop "charges" as the boil winds down... Then doubling, or even tripling, what you would normally dry-hop with.

You try first wort hopping to increase the flavor. Also up the late additions will increase flavor and aroma, without adding significant bittering. I'd guess that Jamil uses tons of late hop additions in the Evil Cousin. He wrote an article a few years ago on the topic that included the recipe for Evil Twin (i doubt its identical) and it utilized this technique. I've used done it and there seems to be no comparison to hoppy beers I've made with conventional hopping schedules. You could also try a hop back, or just whirlpool hopping. Sierra Nevada uses a type of continuous hopback called a torpedo, although its a bit more complicated to do at home, but doable.

I think you'll want to focus on hops with high alpha and beta acid content, very 'oily' hops. Columbus/Tomahawk come to mind when dealing with resiny tasting IPA's.

I actually got to speak with Jamil awhile tonight at his brewery. He pretty much says high AA hops and about a lb per 5 gals with loads of dry hops will get you that flavor. Super nice dude. Very forthcoming with his recipes and techniques.

Lot's and lots of hops. Choose hops with a high total oil content. High AA usually go hand in hand, but there are some hop charts that list total oils. Simcoe, CTZ, Citra, Centennial, and Chinook are among the highest of the American varieties. Basically just use a boat load of hops late in the boil and at flame out. Then dry hop with a boat load of hops.

For an IPA to get that character, use 10-12oz of hops. For a IIPA expect to use around 16oz. Then drink it while it's YOUNG!

Lot's and lots of hops. Choose hops with a high total oil content. High AA usually go hand in hand, but there are some hop charts that list total oils. Simcoe, CTZ, Citra, Centennial, and Chinook are among the highest of the American varieties. Basically just use a boat load of hops late in the boil and at flame out. Then dry hop with a boat load of hops.

For an IPA to get that character, use 10-12oz of hops. For a IIPA expect to use around 16oz. Then drink it while it's YOUNG!

12oz in boil or altogether?

The "Resinous" recipe for Saturday:

7.5 gal all grain

18lb of GW pale
1lb of C40
1lb of maltodextrin

2oz Columbus (12% aa) @ FWH
2oz Apollo (20% AA) @ 20 min
2oz Galaxy (18% aa)@ 10 min
2oz Columbus @ 5 min
2oz Apollo @ 0

WL San Diego Super Yeast w/starter

Galaxy/Columbus/Apollo dry hops (suggestions on amounts?)

How does this look?

Yep that's a good read. It's where I got my start in hop bursting. I'm drinking a 3 week old 4.5% ABV pale ale that got this treatment and it's so f***ing hoppy it's silly. I meant for it to be 4% but underestimated efficiency. Another two weeks time and fully carbed it's gonna be lights out tasty!

Late hop additions and dry hopping. This has given me great results. A little more spendy, but spread over 5 gallons is minimal.

People crap on the idea of using a pound+ of hops in a 5 gallon batch, but that is seriously how you get this resiny flavor. My DIPA has 18 ounces of hops, with 3oz bittering, 8-10 ounces at <5 minutes left in the boil and ~5 ounces dry hop. It hurts to use that many hops, but it is seriously worth it in the end.

People crap on the idea of using a pound+ of hops in a 5 gallon batch, but that is seriously how you get this resiny flavor. My DIPA has 18 ounces of hops, with 3oz bittering, 8-10 ounces at <5 minutes left in the boil and ~5 ounces dry hop. It hurts to use that many hops, but it is seriously worth it in the end.

Agreed on all counts. I wonder what would happen if you were to do a partigyle and re-use your late addition hops in the small beer. Hmmm...

JuanKenobi said:
Agreed on all counts. I wonder what would happen if you were to do a partigyle and re-use your late addition hops in the small beer. Hmmm...

That's a pretty smart idea there, sir!

You could brew an Imperial IPA, partigyle for an IPA, then finish with a session pale.

At least, that's how it goes in my head.

That's a pretty smart idea there, sir!

You could brew an Imperial IPA, partigyle for an IPA, then finish with a session pale.

At least, that's how it goes in my head.

I already started working up a recipe. I started a new thread to hopefully get some other peoples input. I think I'm going to do this as soon as I get my new mash tun up and running.

Partigyle IPA Experiment

*hijack over*

I agree with all the above. 1lb of hops is not unreasonable. For IPA or IIPA I usually dry hop with 6-8 oz of hops alone.

So, considering the aa% on the hops I'm using, does the recipe I posted look like it should get me that resinous flavor?

So, considering the aa% on the hops I'm using, does the recipe I posted look like it should get me that resinous flavor?

Yes. Dry hop anywhere from 2-6oz split among a couple additions over the course of 5-14 days.
Cut back on the crystal though. 1/2lb, and you probably won't need the maltodextrine. You need your IPA to be dry for that dank resinous character to come through.

Cool. Thanks. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Recipie looks great.. Dump the maltodextrine and half the crystal as stated, if it was me at high krausen I wuld add 1 lb of corn sugar to dry that ***** outlike Pliny and let those hops shine west coast style.

T

Brew day went very well. Here is a quick pictorial :)

Let me tell you, the Alpine Beer Company's "Nelson" rye IPA was fantastic. We are spoiled here in California.

image-2187738229.jpg

image-1805760383.jpg

image-3694080593.jpg

image-1003009671.jpg

image-2068749397.jpg

I can't believe everybody has responded with the same general answer, "Add more hops."

One thing that can really affect the hop "bite," no matter how much hops you add to the brew, is the water profile. Even if you add a TON of hops, if the water is soft, it will have remarkably less "bite" than a nicely constructed "hard" water with the same amount of hops.

Grab some gypsum from your LHBS, and give it a go!

I added 10grams of gypsum and one gram of CalClo to the mash, which was about 10 gallons. Sufficient?

That might be a little low for SF water which is really fairly soft to begin with. I used to use ~6 grams for a 5 gallon batch.

Brew day went very well. Here is a quick pictorial :)

Let me tell you, the Alpine Beer Company's "Nelson" rye IPA was fantastic. We are spoiled here in California.

Alpine might be my favorite brewery, and I wish we could get it here in AZ. Had Bad Boy last time I was there (limited release only on tap) and it was amazing. Duet and Nelson are also fantastic.

Back