What is temporarily muting hop aroma/flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raymarkson

Reaction score
On my last couple of highly hopped beers I have had the experience of losing hop aroma/ flavor when they are first kegged. I immediately think that I have had some sort of oxygen ingress somewhere in my process and attribute the lack of aroma/flavor to that and I assume that the batch is ruined. Then, after these beers condition in the keg for a couple of weeks, the hop aroma and flavor comes back. This seems strange to me and I am wondering what could be causing it. I read so often on these threads that people recommend drinking highly hopped IPA's fresh or going grain to glass in 7 days or something, but my recent experience seems to indicate that conditioning my highly hopped beers for a couple of weeks is helpful.

Anyway, is there something that I may be missing that could be temporarily covering the hop aroma and flavor? Have any others had this experience? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

If you are avoiding oxygen post fermentation then you should be good at about week 2 in the keg. If you force carb and say 2 to 3 days later you are drinking it then yeah I would say it needs more time. My ipa's typically peak around week 2 in the keg on co2.

When you transfer to the keg you kick a lot of trub, yeast, polyphenols Into suspension. Then after two weeks it settles back out and allows the beer to shine

Latest posts

Back