Rescuing overcarbed bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursa_minor

Reaction score
I've got a batch of beer that I bottled about 6 weeks ago at a FG of 1.014. I made the newbie mistake of not taking hydro readings on consecutive days and instead just trusting the calendar as for when to bottle. I've since been drinking this batch and haven't noticed anything awry until this afternoon when I found 3 burst bottles in my stash.

I did some research and it looks like the reason why they popped is that the fermentation continued/ restarted in the bottles - I took a hydro reading just now and the FG has dropped to 1.008. So I've put the remaining bottles in the fridge for now.

I've read elsewhere on this site that it's possible to re-cap bottles in this situation? If so, how would one go about this? Would I just open them up, wait for them to off-gas for a while and cap them back up? Or would I decant everything back into a bottling bucket and start anew?

Thanks!

If you are at the point of bursting bottles,opening them will just get you a load of gushing bottles and a bunch of mess to clean up.

I would store them VERY cool and drink the as quickly as you can
OR
Just get rid of them before you or someone else gets hurt.

I speak from experience. I once had to sit and drink 12 630ml bottles in a night in order to safegard my family ;)

Chilling them to very low temperatures will drop active yeast and stop continued fermentation. You can try releasing pressure slightly and resealing to obtain the correct pressure, but I've not done that myself.

Found this video that might help.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itrjDXPKEGw[/ame]

Back