Required Mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerknapper

Reaction score
While I was looking through the malts chart on this site I noticed that some malts such as CaraFoam, CaraPils, Dextrine Malt and Malted Oats don't require a mash. Why is that? And what would happen if you did put the malts in during the mash? And when else would you add it during the brewing process? I can't imagine adding it during the boil, I guess I just don't understand something not requiring a mash.

While I was looking through the malts chart on this site I noticed that some malts such as CaraFoam, CaraPils, Dextrine Malt and Malted Oats don't require a mash. Why is that? And what would happen if you did put the malts in during the mash? And when else would you add it during the brewing process? I can't imagine adding it during the boil, I guess I just don't understand something not requiring a mash.

If it doesn't require a mash (but oats do), it means it can be successfully steeped with the other grains (chocolate malt, crystal malt, etc) in an extract batch.

Of course, all the grains go in together in a mash if a mash is being performed.

What Yooper said :)

Things that don't 'require' a mash mean they can be steeped in a 'tea' sort of deal to extract color and flavor, if you're using liquid or dry extract to make your batch. Unless you include actual base malts with these items (like 2row, 6row, pilsner, etc.) then you won't get any conversion from these steeping grains.

You can of course add these steeping grains that don't 'require' a mash, TO a mash, and with a mix of base malt and such they will convert and give your beer some necessary sugars for alcohol production.

All of those malts listed should be mashed for best results. The dextrine malts have some crystal malt qualities and will yield a usable fraction from steeping. Not sure about the others but the Weyermann CaraFoam does have some diastatic properties and unconverted starch.

Back