Replicating a certain taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuNchBoX1371

Reaction score
Hey new brewe here and i just made my second batch a blonde ale. It tasted amazing with the bittering being in the beginning and finished with a nice citrasy taste from the citra hops i believe. But what im wondering is that i want to replicate the bittering aspect being first instead of at the end like most beers. Any suggestions? Here is the recipe http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/42477/blonde-ale. Does anyone know if it was just the hops or the hope additions at a certain time or what cause i want to start brewing with the bittering ascpet in the beginning and finish with the flavor

Bittering hop additions go in a the begining of the 1 hour boil. flavor & aroma additions come in toward the last 20 minutes or so of the boil generally. According to the recipe,the amarillo addition @ 60 minutes is for bittering. But the 30 minute citra addition gives maybe half bittering & half flavor. The 5 minute ahtanum addition is for aroma.

Yeas but how do i get the bittering taste at the beginning of the beer instead of the end is it just the hops i added, their bittering profile is at the beginning of the beer instead of some hops are at the end?

If you stick with a similar hop schedule, that should replicate what you are looking for. you can experiment with a few different hops to see what you get, but it could be that combination you used works well for your palette. I've read that bittering, is bittering, it really doesn't matter the hop. Although personally, I don't find that to be true.

If nothing else, Amarillo is probably just giving you a really clean bitter that suits your personal Taste.

Ok Thank You. Ill just try experimenting with those hops and see what happens but ill take anymore suggestions

Yeas but how do i get the bittering taste at the beginning of the beer instead of the end is it just the hops i added, their bittering profile is at the beginning of the beer instead of some hops are at the end?

Are you inferring that you wanna taste the bittering first? You'd need a lot of bittering to taste that first,rather than "on the back" as we say. Meaning the back of the tongue or at the point of swallowing.

Yes i want to taste the bittering aspect first. But it my recipe i didnt add a lot of hops tho-it wasnt out of the normal for hops, but im a first time brewer so how would i know lol- ill just keep experimenting with this recipe and see what i get; thank you for the help

Back